East
East asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Calling a coworker “Doogie Howser”: acceptable?

My office has a young employee who graduated from an Ivy League school and is clearly really smart.

One mid level manager calls him “Doogie Howser”- the young brilliant prodigy featured in the 1980s or 1990s TV series.  The manager will even page him over the office intercom: “Doogie Howser, report to Mr. Smith’s office.”

Is this appropriate?  The young employee doesn’t laugh or say anything.  

No, that's lame (and could possibly be construed as harassment if it keeps happening). 

Why is this any of your business?  It is unprofessional but not necessarily unacceptable.  If the employee in question does not like it, he and he alone, needs to speak up.  If he is unwilling to do so, then that's his choice.

If you are upset or offended by this, talk to the boss in question.  

It is a compliment in a way, but should not be used over the PA because it is unprofessional and might embarrass him. 

• Guber

Dang!  I wish I could have had a manager who called me that.  All I ever heard was was stuff like, "You stupid moron!  What were you thinking?".

I would say it is only inappropriate if the person being called such a name finds it belittling or offensive. Some people might wear that as a mark of honor (some people might take pride in being recognized for genius and position beyond what is normal for their age group). Not my place to say for them that it is, or is not, offensive to them.  It does not offend me if someone is called that; I don't see that it is wrong.  It would offend me if the recipient said he did not like it and people continued to call him that, though.

It is not as though the term "Doogie Howser" is offensive of itself.  It is not a pejorative.

• Sandy

he should report this manager to HR or this guy's boss. he's creating a hostile work environment. tell him to document EVERTHING IN DETAIL!

• Jerry

In certain contexts it just gentle harmless teasing. But putting on the PA system is using it in official communications. That's unprofessional and inappropriate.