Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleSkin & BodyOther - Skin & Body · 2 months ago

Will tanning help conceal old scars?

I've over a dozen on my stomach that I'm trying to conceal a little from when I used to hurt myself almost all of them are keloid scars.

People who sunbathe regularly often use a sun tanning oil that helps their skin tan more quickly. ... Tanning is not an effective way to help your scars blend in with the surrounding tissue. In fact, too much sun exposure can have negative effects on your scars in the form of hyperpigmentation and hypopigmentation.

no, it won't....................

• Judy

No, because scar tissue does not tan so they would actually become more noticeable as the surrounding skin tans.  Also, since scar tissue doesn't tan, it is more susceptible to skin cancer. 

My experience would lead me to say no. I have a scare on my shoulder blade and it actually gets darker than the tan itself, go figure.

• Rick

not usually, no .......................................

No. You'll end up with brown skin and white scars. Scar tissue is nothing like regular skin and lacks the same pigment producing cells. Even if they did change color it would not be at the same rate as the skin that isn't scar tissue. 

No it won't.  You shouldn't hide your scars. Embrace your scars – and thank them for reminding you that you, beautiful, strong, brilliant you – are still here today.

Do any of you know face shapes according to measurements? I don't know my face shape based on images or descriptions.

Face length = 8 11in

Jaw length = 7 5in

Cheek length = 6in

Forehead length = 4 12in

I don't know how to measure in inches, so the 11, 12, and 5 after the major numbers are the dashes after the inch the ruler says it is.

No one is answering my question so I am asking around. Thanks

I'd think it would make them more visible.

No, tanning will make them more obvious.  The scars themselves won't tan so they'll stand out against your tanned skin.  Feel free to tell everyone how stupid cutting is.