East
East asked in Society & CultureRoyalty · 2 months ago

Anyone else resent royals who voluntarily give up their royal privileges and move to the US?

Not only Prince Harry but also part of the Swedish royal family has moved to the US, and probably there are other members of royal families who have moved to the US.

Anyone else kind of resent that?  Being a royal is something that very few people in the world have.  Sure, the publicity can be irksome (although who’s heard of royalty of smaller countries) but shouldn’t members of royal families use the gift of celebrity and royal status to make the world better, instead of ditching that privilege and moving to the US?

No. It has always been the case that whilst you can be born or marry into royalty there is always the option to walk away from it. The important person is the monarch, the rest of the family can either support the family firm, or can go their own way. What people resent is royals trying to have the best of both worlds; Prince Harry has retained interests in projects like the Invictus Games and his other charities albeit in a private capacity. 

I can't see any reason to resent anyone who is doing what she/he believes is right for him/her and her/his family.

Although you are right in that someone's royal status does help draw attention to whatever causes and charities she/he supports, just because he/she decides not to be royal anymore doesn't mean she/he can't still try to make the world a better place.  Look at the people who do the day to day work at those charities, they aren't royal or otherwise famous, yet they make the world a better place every day.

In regards to Princess Madeleine of Sweden, I don't believe she moved to get away from being royal, but because her husband's business responsibilities required a move to the US.

• Clo

Resent? No. Agree with what they are doing? No. The way this situation was handled was unsatisfactory.

I'm not as bothered that Harry and his wife decided to move away from the UK and the Royal Family as I am about the WAY this was done.  The Queen, his father and brother, surely didn't deserve for this announcement to be made public before the final decisions had been agreed on.

The Queen had apparently asked them to wait before making this annoucement.   But that just shows what an impetuous/selfish even, man Harry actually is.

I don't give a toss about what other members of Royalty do.  Again just the way it's done.

• No, not in the least, Royals have been going into exile in the U.S.A for more than a hundred years, The Grand Duke Vladimir of Russia went there and became a successful businessman. Harry is free to do as he wants, as long as it isn't one foot in and one foot out. The U.K Monarchy is NOT a convenience for him or his new family.

Why on earth would anyone resent anyone be they Royal or other wise moving to the US. F.or your information Prince Harry still supports the following charites just to name a few.   

National AIDS Trust.PeyBack Foundation.Prince's Rainforests Project.Sentebale.SkillForce.The Countryside Foundation For Education.The Foundation of Prince William and Prince Harry.The Warrior Programme.Tusk Trust.UNICEF

And I expect that Royals from other countries have their own charities that they support.

(although who’s heard of royalty of smaller countries)

How small? 

The Vatican has 801 people

Tuvalu has 11,508 people

Liechtenstein has 38,749

Monaco has  39,261

St Kitts and Nevis has 55,224

Andorra has 77,006

Tonga has 105,695

Brunei has 437,479

Luxembourg has 625,978

Bhutan has 754,394

All are monarchies, all have royalty and there are other small monarchies as well

To be honest I don't really care for the royals in general and couldn't care less what they do.

I'd be happy to see the queen moved to a council house and buck palace turned into a home for abandoned pets.

No. Why would I? It's their lives. They only get one. They have the right to live it how they see fit. Why on Earth would I begrudge that? What kind of small, petty, feckless, sedentary imbecile would I have to be to waste my time resenting them?

No.

My grandparents were some. 

There's nothing left in your ancestral lands without the opportunity to progress. 

And you can do that elsewhere.

I'm very proud of Harry and Meghan. And always have been. 

I've been rooting for them to come back to the US where they belong. 

With fellow Americans and Los Angelinos.