Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 2 months ago

This guy was tailgating me and when i stopped my car he almost hit me but he was angry?

So i was driving and i noticed this car behind me driving uncomfortably close  so i tried to speed up but so did he i felt as if he was a few inches away. then I slowed down because i needed to turn left into a parking lot he also happened to turn left to the same parking lot  and then when i entered the parking lot i came to a stop so i could park and the car behind me stopped abruptly and honked and cussed. There was this dude in the car with his girlfriend they both yelled something i couldnt hear them but he pointed at his eyes i guess trying to tell me to look at my rear mirror...  Yet he was the one tailgating me. I didnt say a word i just looked at them expressionless until they drove away .

Thank god he didnt hit me... But was he right to be upset?  I cant think of anything i could have done he was way too close was he expecting me to keep driving at full speed. 

• M.

So your question is: 

"was he right to be upset?" 

My answer is:  NO. 

He has no right to anything.  It's his job to follow you at a safe distance.  It's your job to use your turn signal to give warning. 

He's just a bad driver. 

Never speed up for a tailgater. 

Sometimes I wish I had an airhorn at the rear of my vehicle aiming backwards.

It sounds like he thought you had 'wronged' him at some point - possibly before you noticed him behind you.  I've seen people straight up cut someone off - then act completely oblivious when they get called out.

Either way, his reaction was infantile - but mine would've been even more childish, because I have a manual transmission and a handbrake.  Whenever someone gets a little too close for my comfort - I will downshift, dump the clutch, then grab the handbrake for a split second.

No brake lights - just skidmarks in their underpants, and if they decide to confront me later, I'm 6'3", and a solid 240#, so they better be ready.

You have no control over how others drive.   Sounds like you were following laws so @$!# him.

Sorry, but we can't fix stupid. 

• Anton

" This guy was tailgating me ...  car behind me driving uncomfortably close  so i tried to speed up.... "

EVERYTHING was wrong after you trying to speed up.   When someone tailgates you, you  slow down, pull to the side, park, turn, whatever needed to let the idiot pass you.

95% of all "accidents" are two idiots meeting.  If you are not an idiot, you will have very few problems.

• Erik

No, he was in the wrong.  Unless you didn't signal your left turn, I hate it when people do that.  You did the right thing by not saying anything and just standing your ground.

i wouldve taken his license plate number and called the cops

• GF

Legally, according to the RMV, you are obligated to pull to the side of the road if the car behind you is too close for your comfort.

It is a "Defensive Druving" rule. It very rarely comes into effect and I'm sure that very few even know of it. 

But if he hit you it would still be his fault. You should never go over the speed limit because the vehicle behind you is tailgating. Signal to pull over and let them pass.