JOSEPH asked in PetsRodents · 2 months ago

Can rats climb walls? AKA: How did it get up there?!?

I just went into my bathroom and found a rat on the shelf in the highlighted zone. There is NO access up to that shelf. How did the rat get up there? 

The photo makes it look like the rat could have climbed up the towel rail in the bottom right hand corner; but no. The towel rail is six inches below the shelf and set flush against the wall. 

My best guess at this point is a heroic leap from the vacuum cleaner cord to the towels, but even then, it's a good foot away and the room was PITCH BLACK?

How did the rat do this??

Attachment image

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Zapata
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Yup, rats can climb easily and can jump well too. Bear in mind that they are related to squirrels.  Remember that they spend most of their time in dark places, so they can see pretty well without light.

• Ocimom
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Most likely it used the edge of the shelf and the wall - you would be surprised what the little claws can attach to on a wall - its not perfectly smooth.

• 2 months ago

By looking at the picture they can climb that pipe looking thing at the bottom right of the photo or up that vacuum or jump aslo.

• 2 months ago

Rats are awful good climbers and they can jump pretty good too.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

They can climb almost anything they can get their claws on and they can jump really high.

• 2 months ago

Either via the vaccum cleaner hose, the washing machine or the towel rail all look like easy climbs for a rat. 

The jump you describe would not be particularly challenging and the gap from towel rail to shelf would not be challenging for an adult rat.

They are good climbers and jumpers.

• 2 months ago

It would have gone up the vac hose, hopped onto the rags and onto the top shelf...

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.