Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

Can my job fire me without proving I'm "racist," in a state that isn't at-will employment?

Since Monday, I've been making it clear that I don't get the people whining about how "sad" it is that a non-white ex-"Mythbuster" died suddenly, and now most of my co-workers are trying to get me fired for being a "Nazi." I'm documenting everything they and my boss are saying and doing, and the only one who's not calling me Hitler told me the rest are trying to get me fired. I don't think they can do it without reasonable cause, right?

I would need to know what you specifically said about this individual dying, what your remark was word for word. That way, depending on what you said, you can at least be able to argue that your post never displayed any bit of racism whatsoever. Take a screenshot of your post along with shots or your friends’ replies (I’m assuming they commented on this post before doing other shady things) so people can see the story for what it is.

As for if they can do this legally. I believe what your friends are doing is slander and defamation of character especially if you’ve never said anything racist. With they’re evidently trying to cost you your job with their accusations. 

They can fire you for no reason at all, and they need no proof of anything.  So yes, they can fire you.  Did you specifically draw attention to the fact he is non white?  That's kinda racist.

• Isabel

It sounds like you’re trying to get yourself fired so that you can sue.  I’m that case, your company would win and you might owe court costs.  

The amusing part of course being that I bet Dr. Imahara was 100x more intelligent than you'll ever be. 

First, there is ONE US state that isn't employment ate will.

Second, that state allows firing without reason with 30 days notice.

Third, proof of the reason isn't required.

Forth, the PARANOIA you confessed to in this question is ample grounds to remove you from the company.

That WAS reason to fire you.

Reasonable cause is what the company decides. It is sad when ANYONE dies suddenly before their time, and when you specifically point out that it's not sad based on someone's race, that makes you look like a racist, and makes you more difficult to work with in the eyes of many people, may create a hostile work environment. Again, it's up to the company if you're worth the trouble. Even in the one state that isn't at-will, Montana, you can be fired, because you have given the company just cause.

Well if you live in the US you have told us all what State you live in, IF it really isn't at-will. However you decided not to give that detail, which is rather odd if it's true. Sounds like they do have cause to fire you, it's a hostile work environment. Either you CAUSED it to be one, or everyone else is against you so it would be for you in the least. They aren't going to fire everyone else, including your boss, so yeah the way it will go is to fire you. 

• Kieth

Disparity in the workplace can get you fired if it's listed in the handbook or on your employment contract. How about not mouthing off so much about it? Yes, you have the right to speak your mind, but an employer has the right to keep hostility out of the workplace. 

They absolutely can. If someone else finds what you said offensive, you can get in trouble. If you are in good standing with the company they probably won't fire you.