Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 4 weeks ago

Should schools in America be required to teach Arabic numerals to all school children?

I say yes. Absolutely. It should be required learning for all American children.

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Prince
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

No indeed. Numbers are as unnecessary as letters. You don't need widespread literacy. People before 1900 were 99% illiterate and even right up to America's entry into the Second World War in 1941 literacy was by no means universal. One per cent of the population being able to read and do math is sufficient. Education led to the worst excesses of the French revolution and the Communist revolution in Russia was really fueled and carried out by the bourgeoisie and not by the "downtrodden" peasants to whom they falsely attributed it. 

• Isabel
    Lv 4
    3 weeks ago

My understanding is that all schools in the United States, and in fact in all countries that use the Latin alphabet, are required to teach Arabic numerals to children.  So yes, of course I believe they should teach them.  How would children function without that basic knowledge?  Is this a debate that I don’t know about?

• sepia
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Arabic numerals are the ten digits: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. 

The term often implies a decimal number written using these digits. 

However, the term can mean the digits themselves, such as in the statement 

"octal numbers are written using Arabic numerals."

• 4 weeks ago

NO!  Muslim numbers will corrupt our youth.  Better to teach them how to use an abacus.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • fcas80
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Arabic numerals are the ten digits: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9. I believe schools in America should teach these to all school children.

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

You have asked this before

• 4 weeks ago

Yeah, right after they start teaching Klingon.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

No. Waste of time. No on uses them or cares.

• 4 weeks ago

That would be a bad as teaching that other Arabic invention, algebra. Most kids all ready know that it was designed by an Arab to drive American kids out of their minds

• y
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

I see, you want to go back to Obama's common core

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.