Can a company not hire me because I am unable right now to do the physical demands of the job ?

My health as it stands right now.  I have asthma, pinched nerve and scoliosis.  I am in rehab right now.  I applied at a job as a security guard apparently one of the pyhiscal demands of the job is carrying heavy boxes around.  I let them know about my condition their reply oh you don't meet the physical demands of the job we can't offer it to you at this time.  I asked if a push cart, dolly could be used they said no because some locations have steps.   I am wondering can they really deny me employment based on my condition what are my options legally.  

So according to the answers a company can refuse to hire a physically disabled person which I always thought was discrimination. 

• Jay

Would you hire a lifeguard who could not swim for a swimming pool?

Would you hire a person who could not do math as an accountant?

Would you hire a convicted pedophile to stay with your children for a week while you were in Russia?

Would you hire a Springer Spaniel to bale hay on a farm?

Would you hire a camel to climb Mt Everest?

You have to be able to do what the job requires.  Yes the company is supposed to offer reasonable accommodation.  However it is unreasonable for them to expect you to haul a push cart up one or more flights of stairs because that involves LIFTING the HEAVY BOXES.

If you were already an employee...they can be required to move you to a job where you will not have to lift until your disability is resolved.

But they can decide to avoid the liability of you injuring yourself doing something you are not supposed to do by not hiring you.

If you are really hurt you can talk to a lawyer...but I doubt anyone would take your case.

You can't be serious.  Sorry you have these limitations, but a company has EVERY right to not hire you if you can't do the job.  What would make you think otherwise?  It's no different than a company saying they need someone fluent in Japanese and getting an applicant who's never studied it. 

• RP

Yes. If you do not meet the physical requirements, they can refuse to hire you.

Of course they can deny you the job - because you cannot do the job.  Apply for a job that you are able to do.  Otherwise, you are wasting your time and theirs.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25 years' experience & with Employment law experience.