Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

Bleeding brakes?

This weekend I plan on changing all the rotors, calipers, and brake pads on my 2012  Jeep Patriot. I know it’s a silly question, but will the whole brake system need to be bled? 

NO..  but you will need to bleed all the calipers, and only the complete system IF you are dumb enough to let the master cyl run low and get air in the lined threw it. Start with the one closest to the master cyl, and work to the farthest when bleeding. MAKE sure you get all the air out of each one before going to the next one.

Nope. Is there a leak? Are your going to replace the master cylinder? No, just replace the pads. Drums are a bit harder.

There should be no need to change the disk brake calipers unless there is one seized up, or the piston seal is torn, or replacing a cracked flex hose requiring bleeding. Drive the caliper pistons back in with a large C clamp. New pads and rotors are all you should need along with some high temperature silicone brake grease for the caliper slide pins/bolts/seals. The rear rotors also have a parking cable drum brake integral in the rear rotor. Watch the youtube vids on it.

If you got to ask; then you hire out to someone with mechanical knowledge to do it AND YOU WATCH AND ASK QUESTIONS.  You will remember for the NEXT TIME.  It is only YOUR LIFE AND THE LIFE OF THE PERSON YOU HIT & THE LAWSUIT THAT FOLLOWS is why you don't want to muck this up.

. After all it may be you ram into a concrete wall, or go over a cliff to your death.

From what I remember, no you don't got to do anything...but you may find it difficult to replace the 1/32" pad with a 1/2" pad and get that schitt to fit together again.  If your system is GOOD it will not bleed backwards by force.

Yes. I am  not remotely qualified to service the brakes, but even I know if you open any line, which is required to replace the caliper, you need to bleed that line. All of the calipers = the entire system.

If you had the LEAST BIT of doubt on that, please don't even LOOK at the brakes.

• F

I hope you’re upgrading them. When I had a Jeep I put less planning into my holidays than I did to stop the Jeep.

leave it to someone that knows what they are doing

I don't bleed brakes unless a caliper needs to be changed. Jeeps have a common problem with caliper slide pins seizing up in the caliper brackets. I use my oxyacetylene torch to heat the brackets to free up the slide pins. If you don't have a torch and the calipers need replacing clamp a vice grip pliers on the front brake hoses just enough to lightly squeeze the hoses closed so you don't drain the master cylinder dry. That way you only need to bleed the front brakes.

The fluid is old enough that you should flush all of it out and put in new brake fluid.

• Ron

Just the part where you let air in