What makes an employer not want to hire a candidate?

For starters, I'm 16-years-old. I have little to no knowledge about the workforce and what employers prefer, look for, etc. I was wondering what would stand out to an employer? For example, If I was at an interview and asked the employer how his/her day was would they view that as unprofessional/ talkative or just being cordial? What do they want in a candidate? What do they not want in a candidate? 

Ok. you are 16 and you are interviewing with me.  You have no job skills and you are still in school...why would I want to hire you?

You say:

"Yes, I am 16, but I will not be 16 forever.  I want a job where I can LEARN, not just about the working world, but what it takes to be a successful person in this day and age.  I know how to use a computer..I know how to (what ever else you know)  I am happy to start at the absolute bottom and take on tasks and really learn what makes this business work.  Mostly I want to learn what the most successful person that you have ever hired did to impress you...and then I want to learn how to be as good of an employee as that person.

What I lack  in skills I more than make up for in both enthusiasm and the willingness to learn more.

If you hire me, you will not be disappointed."

• RP

Generally, they want a candidate who is qualified for the job and who indicates interest and enthusiasm. If someone does not appear s/he really wants to work for the company, then the company will prefer to find someone who does. Overall, an employer wants to find the best qualified person available.

They think 16 year olds don't get out of bed. When I was that age and a bit older I'd ask family and friends to get me jobs, you surely know people who work somewhere?

They can have their choice of 18-25 year olds who are older more mature and have experience.  Why should they hire a 16 year old is the question.

There is equipment that minors cannot touch.  

• Scott

If you're 16, you're going to be applying to fast food and retail/grocery jobs. They want someone who will show up on time for their shift, ready to go to work.