What makes an employer not want to hire a candidate?

For starters, I'm 16-years-old. I have little to no knowledge about the workforce and what employers prefer, look for, etc. I was wondering what would stand out to an employer? For example, If I was at an interview and asked the employer how his/her day was would they view that as unprofessional/ talkative or just being cordial? What do they want in a candidate? What do they not want in a candidate? 

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Ok. you are 16 and you are interviewing with me.  You have no job skills and you are still in school...why would I want to hire you?

You say:

"Yes, I am 16, but I will not be 16 forever.  I want a job where I can LEARN, not just about the working world, but what it takes to be a successful person in this day and age.  I know how to use a computer..I know how to (what ever else you know)  I am happy to start at the absolute bottom and take on tasks and really learn what makes this business work.  Mostly I want to learn what the most successful person that you have ever hired did to impress you...and then I want to learn how to be as good of an employee as that person.

What I lack  in skills I more than make up for in both enthusiasm and the willingness to learn more.

If you hire me, you will not be disappointed."

• RP
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Generally, they want a candidate who is qualified for the job and who indicates interest and enthusiasm. If someone does not appear s/he really wants to work for the company, then the company will prefer to find someone who does. Overall, an employer wants to find the best qualified person available.

• 4 weeks ago

They think 16 year olds don't get out of bed. When I was that age and a bit older I'd ask family and friends to get me jobs, you surely know people who work somewhere?

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

They can have their choice of 18-25 year olds who are older more mature and have experience.  Why should they hire a 16 year old is the question.

There is equipment that minors cannot touch.  

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Scott
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

If you're 16, you're going to be applying to fast food and retail/grocery jobs. They want someone who will show up on time for their shift, ready to go to work.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.