Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 2 months ago

I still have a lot of stuff in my house that I'm unable to clean up, would an real estate still agree to put it on the market?

My wife and I are about to put our house up on the market. We have a lot of stuff in our house and some of the stuff, we're unable to either put it in the box or throw away. Our attic, bonus room, and garage is already filled up with some of our other stuff that we've boxed up already. Would the real estate agent still agree to list our house ? We would greatly appreciate any help we can get.

I just went though that.  Box and take as much possible too donation place.  Place local ad for FREE stuff. Craiglist,  Nextdoor site has persons want come get free stuff. If have time sell better items.  Place neatly on curb. 

My realtor had it in papers had be totally empty and swept clean.

I have loaned temporary storage space in my carriage barn for friends and neighbors in such situations. Maybe you can find someone willing to help.

• Hannah

Potential home buyers who are touring the house will want to walk through the bonus room and garage.  You need to find a way to get the stuff out of those spaces....find a way to afford a storage unit or store it at a friend’s house.  Only keep the basics out.  

A badly-cluttered house is not going to sell. That's just a given.

What you need to do is HIRE an organizing company. Professional organizers will assist you in boxing, sorting, and storing your things. You will absolutely need to get the house cleared before listing it, then make sure you have done any repairs or maintenance you've put off--and THEN call the real estate agent. He or she may give you more tips on how to effectively 'stage' your house for sale. 

They'd still list the house; but you may find buyers are put off by the amount of stuff you have.

It may be an idea to put stuff you don't need in storage (if you can't actually just get rid of it) while you're selling.

Many realtors would not list your house looking like that.  Buyers have to be able to see what they would be getting and when they are put off, they won't buy it.

sure, i've seen it...but it will have to be a lower asking price

When you move, you will have to deal with the hoarding mess that you have made.

The smart time to do that is before putting the house on the market, as buyers don't want to buy a garbage filled house.

Yes, just expect to get less.

• Scott

It may make it harder to sell. Potential homebuyers don't want to see clutter. Rent a storage unit if you have to and move it there.