San
Lv 5

Do these sentences mean the same thing?

A. The man stumbled on the haunted house.

B. The man stumbled across the haunted house.

Thanks!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

Taking the first sentence literally wouldn't make sense (in this case, at least) because you physically can't stumble on (top of) a (haunted) house. But "stumble on" doesn't make sense figuratively here either. 

On the other hand, "stumble across" makes sense (figuratively) when you are talking about discovering something unexpectedly. All of the sudden, you stumbled across (found) the haunted house. 

Additionally, you can quite literally stumble across the haunted house, I suppose. Maybe you lost your balance walking from one room to another.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

I agree with the others that "stumbled on" means "stumbled over" or "tripped over"  and "stumbled across" means "discovered by accident".

But "stumbled upon" also means "discovered by accident".

Merriam-Webster says the sentences mean the same thing.  Who am I  to argue with a dictionary?

stumble across/on/onto/upon idiom

Definition of stumble across/on/onto/upon

: to find or learn about (something) unexpectedly

I stumbled across/on/upon this book by chance.

We stumbled onto/across the ruins of an old fort.

They stumbled on/upon a bizarre plot.

He stumbled onto the truth.

“Stumble across/on/onto/upon.” Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/stumble... Accessed 15 Jul. 2020.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

You either stumble upon or stumble across in the sense of find.

Stumble on means tripped up.

• geezer
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

No.

If you ''stumble across'' something it means that you discover something .. or find it by accident.

If you ''stumble on'' something it literally means that you trip over it and fall fowards.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

No. A person can't stumble on a house. Stumbling on something means you tripped on it. Stumbling onto a haunted house means you accidentally came across it. The same as the second sentence.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.