Do you agree that if "When you are used to privilege, equality feels like oppression" then...?

It's also true that if you are accustomed to oppression, equality feels like privilege?

You'd think that would be true. But when we lose our collective past so no longer remember oppression we sometimes grow to believe that even near equality is akin to deprivation. There are advocacy movements in the US wherein people with the full rights and privileges of any other citizen have been convinced they're owed something because they've confused equality of opportunity with equality of outcome. 

• i mean it has the ring of truth to it 

• Bill

Invading male spaces and co-opting their roles all without their consent was not expected to be welcomed. In fact, feminists expected men to hate it and fight against it. 

Imagine you're some kid who's been bullied by this one other kid. You're not sure why they're doing it but this bully has made your life hell so much so that you either become accustomed to it or you start to stand up for yourself. Finally, this bully knocks it off but the memories of when they used to bully you are still there and you're aware that if you hadn't stood up for yourself, this would probably still be going on. Suddenly your ex bully starts to claim that, now that you're on equal footing, that you're the one who bullied the bully out of hurting you and that they're really the victim here. They say that you're lucky they're not tormenting you anymore and that that is a privilege. 

Yeah of course you feel happy they're not bullying you anymore, who wouldn't be? But that doesn't mean that saying that "you should feel lucky I'm not bullying you anymore" isn't a manipulative statement, especially since you're the one who stood up for yourself against mistreatment. And no, it doesn't feel like a "privilege", it feels like equality.

For the record: I know that this is not the perfect metaphor for a lot of reasons but I just wanted to describe, in layman's terms, how that isn't a good attitude to have. I also don't believe that men and women are on completely equal footing yet (not that I believe I have the ability to say whether one gender is /way more/ oppressed than the other in the west, just in general gender politics which both male and female people suffer under in some way). When you account for gender oppression in other areas of the world, the long history of misogyny and oppression, and the way that gender dynamics affect other things (like race, sexuality, religion, social and economic status, and ethnicity) and just the fact that we're not kids on a playground, the whole situation becomes murkier. All I'm trying to say is that asking people to be thankful they're not as oppressed as they used to be and to become submissive to mistreatment is just not a good attitude.

• MISOA

When you view equality from a perspective of totality you forget privilege and oppression ...this is the humanist perspective ...where gender or nothing else matters and that is what i plan to implement if i am alive in future ...the hand to hand with those Chinese was just a wake up call !!!

I never married because the laws are too oppressive against men  yet all women i have met are a pain to let go ....this is how it shall be for those who are social reformists ...sigh !!!

case in point :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTs9m3qiP4w

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): MISOA...Man in Search of Answers and the feminists know i am back searching for them !!!
  • Jesere

No equality does NOT feel like privilege