ED asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

Do dogs remember their last owners?

My sister started fostering a dog that was owned by the same owner for 7 years. We were told this dog would be heartbroken and mopey. But she’s anything but and happy.

Do you think dogs remember their lives/home before or just live in the moment?

I think so because my dog hates mustaches, I think his previous owner must have had one.

some dogs may get very down when they lose their owner but other dogs will accept a new owner. I was watching this vet show and somebody found this dog and took it to the local vet. It was micro chipped and the vet called the owner and she said her dog had been stolen five years ago. ANyway when the woman came to get the dog the dog was all over the woman, the dog remembered

Different dogs will be different about this.

Some breeds will get very attached to a single person, some individual dogs will get very attached.  Different dogs also can just live in different states of happiness.

My current two dogs are very happy dogs, I picked them based on temperament and while I know they would miss me, I know that they would still be happy dogs if I wasn’t there.  And I raised them to be happy and confident and friendly, so they would adjust to a new environment very quickly.

Dogs DO live in the moment, which is one of my favorite things about them, AND they will remember their old owner.  Sounds like your sister is doing a good job with this dog - most dogs, even if separated from their life companion, can be perky if in a happy, active, positive situation.

I fostered a dog for 6 months.  Five years later I came into contact with her owner, and the dog was with her.  He went NUTS when he saw me.  He clearly remembered me.

Not all dogs are heartbroken and mopey at changed circumstances.

• Ocimom

I think they remember to some extent.  Some develop a bond that is strong and will be "sad" for awhile.  Maybe this dog was the type the loves everyone and anybody.

Yes, they do.  I gave a dog to my sister & I hadn't seen that dog in 5 yrs but as soon as she saw me she started squeaking, the squeak she always had for me.  She was so happy to see me & I was glad I had to chance to see her.  Yes, they do remember.

They most definitely do remember people from their past situations ... absolutely no doubt. 

I've had many fosters and they will always remember me.   I've had pups that will always remember their breeders.   I've had dogs of my own that haven't seen my son for nearly three years (works abroad)   but go nuts when he comes back home.

However,  in taking in loads of fosters I do agree that most do not pine for their owner and just get on with living the life they have now.  

Of course dogs remember their previous owners.

Dogs also adapt tho too.

Dogs get on with their life as they find it today, they don't worry about tomorrow or yesterday as it is gone, so they live in the moment, how a dog will be after it has lived 7 yrs elsewhere really depends on the life they live now, if they are never walked, never played with...then they are more likely to mope around and be sad

• Maxi

Dogs live in the moment.....however if they see their previous owners they 'remember' them, they just don't have 'memory' like humans do and dwell on the past