Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 3 weeks ago

Is the i3-2130 comparable to Q9650?

I currently have a Core 2 Duo E8400 machine with 8GB of 1,333MHz DDR3 memory and HD7790 1GB. The CPU is proving to be a bottleneck when it comes to GTA-IV and V and I'd like to upgrade it. 

I've two options:Buy a Q9650 for $40 (the best price I could find) 

Replace the motherboard with a Asus H61 and an i3-2130 CPU for $25. 

I'm more inclined towards the Sandy Bridge system as it's more future proof (I can drop a Xeon E3-1270 i.e i7-2600 in the future, when I upgrade the video card) but I'm not sure about the performance, since it's a dual-core CPU with 4 threads after all. 

What do you think?

I'm not a hardcore gamer who's always in pursuit of latest and greatest. Just a casual gamer who doesn't mind playing at 720p30. I'm happy, as long as I get fluid 30FPS locked. 

@User: What if I go with the i3-3240? Seems to be pretty much neck and neck with the Q9650. 

3240 will cost me just a bit more at $30 with the H61 motherboard ($15 CPU + $15 mobo). Also, I already have 8GB of DDR3 memory. 

"I'm more inclined towards the Sandy Bridge system as it's more future proof"

Not exactly.  Sandy Bridge is already obsolete. The most potent Sandy Bridge CPU (the rare i7-2700k) is barely faster than a modern i3.  It's just above a entry level by today's standards.