tough guy asked in SportsMartial Arts · 3 weeks ago

Can studying several different martial arts simultaneously create some problems?

Some say you should both study and focus only in one martial art at a time because otherwise it can confuse you: if you're attacked on the street you might have to make a tough decision on what martial arts techniques to use ( You might be thinking of something like "Now will I use my shaolin kung fu or my taekwondo or my jiu-jitsu or my wing chun, etc?"

Update:

Those who say studying several different martial arts at the same time can be detrimental affirm that you should first study and focus on only one martial art for a period of time ( for example at least until you get the black belt ). Then later moving on to another

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 days ago

Studying multiple martial arts at the same time has always been a problem for most students.  MMA, Jeet Kune Do, Krav Maga, and other eclectic fighting systems solve this problem. I think that any system you study should cover the 4 ranges of unarmed combat: punching, kicking, trapping, and grappling.

• 2 weeks ago

Go ahead and learn and enjoy if you have that much energy. Obviously, within Japanese martial arts lot of the skills are transferable. Sitting seiza is sitting seiza. 

Yeah, you do not have much choice when people attack you. However, this happens much less than some people suppose. If you take up martial arts because you need to defend yourself, you will sooner or later realize three things;

A. A gun is the best self defense there is. 

B. People are not jumping all over you even on the wrong side of town. 

C. Maybe you shouldn't go to the wrong side of town in the first place. 

• Bon
    Lv 6
    3 weeks ago

No, that is not the reason why studying several martial arts concurrently is a bad idea. 

First, to truly become competent in any subject matter one must at the minimum have a firm understanding of the fundamentals (the basics) of that subject and this applies to everything and not just martial art. And this is just the starting point because mastery in any field is whole other ballgame. 

Second, just memorizing a technique here and a technique there is not going to help you in martial arts because the techniques are the result of the fundamental principles that makes a martial art style unique. It's like trying to become good at math by memorizing every combination and permutation of addition and subtraction for every combination of numbers. You learn to add and subtract by understanding the principles of addition and subtraction which then frees you to add and subtract any numbers. We have a term for people who just go around collecting techniques - nibblers, because instead of actual knowledge, they just have a tiny piece of it because they taken nibbles at it.

Third, you are not understand how martial art techniques works. You think that when in a fight, a trained martial art fighter thinks and decides what he is going to do or use.  If he see a right hook coming, he thinks about which techniques he was trained to defend against that, then selects one, then executes that technique. This is a completely false idea many people have because there is no way a person can respond in time doing that; conscious actions is always slower than reflexive reactions.  A technique is only useful in a fight when has been trained to the point of a reflex; you might be able to get away with conscious response against a slow untrained inexperienced adversary, but not against someone who has training and experience.  Someone who is well trained is not someone who has memorized everything and then recall it consciously in a fight. His reactions and responses are totally reflexive or instinctive; there is a name for this process - internalization.  A martial artist through several years of long mind numbing hours of training has internalized his techniques such that even him does not know which ones he will use and is just as surprise when his reflexes reacts to the techniques of his attacker. No doubt you are think why not just collect different techniques and do that, and the answer is: How do you know you are training it right if you never learned the basics? It takes years of practice to train a reflex, so what if you discover you messed up after years of doing it wrong? How are you going to undo it?

Last, many people including myself have trained in different martial arts. The right way to do it is to first have a firm foundation in a style and then go on to something else while incorporating everything you learned into a totality or unity. This isn't about keeping each styles of martial art in its separate compartment. It is about making it all alive and part of the living breathing you.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

EDIT: Yes, Besides a jack of all trades master of non.

Styles teach techniques differently, My grappling techniques and tactics are a lot different from my training partner because of the different styles. I have learned 3 different styles of karate and 6 different ways to do a reverse punch, 8 different ways to do a round house kick. Knowing more is not always better. Focusing on less is. 

It takes decades to understand a single technique and a life time to master it.

Edit Yes I do recommend studying one at a time, especially on the beginning for at least the first 10 years 

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 3 weeks ago

It's not the style that matters, it's knowing how to make each movement function to the highest potential in each different fighting situations.

• Imp
    Lv 5
    3 weeks ago

Heres three sayings "a jack of all trades is a master of nothing", "don't think feel" and "I fear not the man who practiced one thousands kicks, I fear the man who practiced one kick a thousand times". When mixing it's best to favour either grapling or striking, not doing one or the other but doing one more the the other. 

• 3 weeks ago

If you are in a fight, you ALWAYS have to decide which techniques to use at any given instant. You NEVER have to confine your choices to any given Martial Art. In fact making the distinction in your mind actually violates the entire concept of what Martial Arts in general are about.

That said, for the purpose of actually learning, focusing on one disciple at a time can be useful.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.