Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 3 weeks ago

Conservatives: How would you react if your grandkid came out as transgender?

• Marli

I would try to understand why my grandchild feels misgendered.  Puberty can unsettle kids' perceptions of themselves. Or maybe the child was always more boy than girl or more girl than boy. If the child was not playing a dirty-minded prank on his elders, or doing it because transgender or any of the LGBTQ is cool or counter culture or a fad. If it's real and deep, then I can't be angry at the child for being him- or her- self. I'd rather be disturbed and upset than have my grandchild not be true and open.

I wouldn't want the child to renounce his or her biological gender.  The physical body is there and in some circumstances must be conformed to. And it's not a bad thing to have a masculine and a feminine perspective or experience. But why can't my grandson wear a pretty blouse, trousers and heels and look more like the girl he feels he is?  Why is wearing a dress still "girls only", now that women wear menswear? Why can't he act feminine or she masculine if that is who they are inside? I think we have to relax the notions that some things are exclusively for one gender. Bras and jockstraps are for the biological gender's physical comfort,  but other clothing could be interchangeable.

• Paul

I would do my best to obtain suitable psychological counseling for them.

• Sam

There body is not ours, not yours and not their parents.  I would talk with them to make sure they   are making the right decision for themselves

Their body will go through some changes but the love I have for them won't.   They know who they are and I know who they are.  

FYI, people dnn't go through those changes willy nilly, on a whim. 

Here you go, educate yourself a little:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUN75MGqdpU

Youtube thumbnail

Why just conservatives?  Why not liberals, too.  It seems like you just want a sensationalized answer and not a real answer.

• Jeremy

I'd be heartbroken because I believe that God made the majority of people male or female and a certain number He allowed (for reasons we don't understand) to be born with the disability of having 2 sets of genitals.  When THAT is the case a child can have an operation to remove the less dominant organs. Intersex it is now called.  Those people are not transgender, they have had a 'birth defect' corrected with surgery.  People who do not have that birth defect but wish to change from one gender to the other are defying the natural state into which God allowed them to be born.  This will bring about God's displeasure i.m.o.

• kswck2

In 2004, my best friend died. His two year old son refused to wear anything that day except a dress after the funeral. Adults paid no attention. He grew up to be gay. So maybe it is not a choice, rather he was born that way. 

. . . and how would you react if your grandkid came out as an anti-homosexual bigot?

I'm fine with it, as long as no surgeries, sex change medications, nor hormones are administered until the child turns 18. Such practices before age 18 are criminal acts, in my view. After age 18, freedom of the individual takes effect. 

As in not just gay, but actually believing they're the opposite gender that they were born as? That's called gender dysphoria. Being the loving grandparent I know I would be (I'm still quite a number of years away from being one), I would do all I can to get him or her the professional therapy he or she needs. Just as I would for any other mental illness a loved one may have.

If they just end up being a homosexual, but not possess this mental illness, I'd still love them regardless.

Good question. 

I would feel sad for him/her. It's a psychiatric illness.