Why won’t a phone charger be included with the iPhone 12?

• 1 week ago

I do want to start by clarifying, there is no confirmation whether the iPhone 12 will / will not contain a charger.  At the moment, it's purely speculation.

Now, to answer your question as to why Apple *may* not include a charger, the reasoning as of late is:

Quoted by Apple Analyst, Ming-chi Kuo - "increased margins, shipping costs, the transition to a future no-port iPhone, and the environment"

In my professional opinion, I have an extremely difficult time believing that Apple will not include a charger.  Most of the consumers who will purchase an iPhone 12, most likely already own an iPhone, therefor, will already have a USB to Lightning charging cable, or a Qi Wireless Charger that they can use to charge their iPhone 12.  Again, I have a hard time believing that they will not at least include the standard USB to Lightning cable to charge their phone.  It would be very consumer-hostile to sell what will probably be a $1,000 + mobile phone without the functionality to charge that mobile phone right out of the box.

I hope this helps!

The iPhone 12 (aka iPhone SE 2 aka 2020 iPhone SE) can be charged by either an eight pin lightning connector *or* a Qi wireless charger.   Probably that choice is partial justification for including neither type of charger.

Of course the basic reason Apple does what they do is to get more money out of its <s>victims</s> er, I mean, customers.

This is simply a rumour at the moment and if it’s true, the reasons are currently unknown. 

What we do know is that most people who buy iPhones already have multiple chargers in their homes. We also know that chargers contribute a lot to electronic waste as a lot of people just throw them away. Apple being a company that tries to recycle a lot of materials, this could be a way of cutting down e-waste. 

Because the more "extras" Apple can get fools to buy in order to make the phone usable, the more money they make.

Because you already have one.

• P

They are largely trying to save on manufacturing costs and also operate under the assumption that most people already have one.  Most sources suggest it will come with a cable which is definitely something.  The included chargers are extremely slow for the newer iphones anyway and have been a source of complaint.