Why my friend's PC gets into same boot problem everytimes?

My friend has a budget computer with i3 CPU and 4GB RAM. His computer always gets the same problem of Windows not booting up. For like 1 year we tried to reinstall Windows several times and after doing some fixes or taking the PC to repair shop, his computer will run fine for 2-3 months and then will develop the same boot problem.

After powering ON the PC, BIOS screen will show and Windows logo will appear but then an error message will come saying something like "Windows is not able to start, ETC and vice versa". Sometimes Windows tries to repair itself with Startup Repair but then it fails.

We have tried different Windows versions from Windows 7 to Windows 10 but this booting problem comes every time. We also replaced the HDD but the problem continues.

What could be the CULPRIT?

This is a hard issue to diagnose and fix because of the amount of time it takes for the problem to appear. IMO, the CPU or RAM is slightly unstable and it's corrupting the O.S. over time. My reasoning is because this happens to rookie overclockers who don't stress test their CPU overclock for stability. What happens here is the CPU or RAM will create an error and sometimes Windows will just let an error slip.

You might be able to cover some ground by using the same stress testing methods that proficient overclockers use. After you/he reformats the drive again, a program called Prim95 could be run to test the CPU and/or RAM for stability. Ideally, this program needs to run for 24/hrs in order to give it enough time to catch an error. If Prime95 fails, then a thread will stop, the system will crash, or the program will crash. 

I'm not sure how old your hardware is, but if the system has 4gb of RAM then it's not new. Some of the early i3 and i5 processors from the 1st and 2nd Generation can be found for really cheap prices on ebay. The Core i5-2400 is $20 and the i3-2100 is $7. 

Windows also has a memory diagnostic tool. 

Other troubleshooting steps you can take.

You could also look at a way to boot into Safe Mode. If you can load into Safe Mode, then the problem is likely a bad driver the O.S. keeps downloading.

Try resetting the BIOS, or updating the BIOS. Over time a phenomenon known as Bit Rot has been known to occur, and the only way to solve this is to update the BIOS.

It's possible that your friend keeps visiting a site that downloads the same Malware that corrupts the O.S.

You could be trying to run bad versions of the O.S.. Are you using the Windows 10 Media Creation tool to download Windows 10 to either a Thumb-Drive or a blank DVD?

About 2 years ago I built an AMD system. After a few boot cycles the system would slow down to a crawl for some unknown reason. However, if I reset the BIOS and I reinstalled the O.S. the system was fine, for at least a few boot cycles until it slowed down again. Once I got another motherboard, the problem went away. In that case, I figured the chipset, which is soldered to the motherboard, was the cause of the failure. 

• keerok

Same motherboard, same processor, same RAM. Tried different windows versions and different hard disks. The error message points to windows not booting so it's probably software related. I'm thinking the problem might be malware. Next time you reinstall, make sure you only use clean installers.

insufficient RAM is possible.  after 2 - 3 months working fine, Microsoft downloads updates and then Windows wants too much RAM for what is available.

Basically because it's a (cheap) Windows PC. That never happens even with older Macs. That's a typical Windows/PC problem.