How are people on here so smart? ?

I often get corrected on my grammar, and they seem to be quite knowledgeable on literature, science and politics. Is it mostly an age gap thing or have you guys positioned yourself better than the general public, got any tips for a 27 year old on how I can improve and expand my knowledge and skillset? 

Maybe they have a more updated spell check than you have... 

• Judith

Curious people who want to learn read a lot.  Not only do they learn but it helps with vocabulary and spelling.  I used to read the encyclopedia for fun and I still have some Reader's Digest books on "Word Power" which I go through periodically to increase my vocabulary.  I also look words up.  As for grammar - you either paid attention in school or you didn't.    Buy "A Grammar Book For You and I...oops, Me" by C. Edward Good.

My mother encouraged me and my 3 sisters to read and we've always been avid readers - so are my friends.  We are constantly sharing books with each other.  In fact I have two bags of books to give one of my sisters whenever I see her next (and who knows when that will be given covid19).  I am in my mid 70s.  

I don't know if fewer young people read or not - my nieces and nephews are all readers too.

As for people who answer questions about literature, science and politics - they are most likely people who know about literature, science and politics.  Otherwise a person doesn't answer the question.

And a whole lot of people answer questions who are ignorant.

years of reading and study has helped, but if I'm really interested in a "CORRECT" answer I look it up on line at one on the many resource sites.

The nuts and bolts of education were jettisoned in the US public school system starting in the mid 90's and the brevity required for social media has only exacerbated the lack of grammar skills now evident in a lot of people. But even if you weren't able to catch up with writing and spelling at the postsecondary level you can still be a self taught autodidact and make it your mission to use technology to train yourself to be more fluent in the English language. Good luck. 

• Erik

Because older people read, therefore their spelling and grammar are usually better.

Read some good books.  Go to a library.  Research some interesting subjects.  Read in an encyclopedia.  Take some college classes.

Source(s): Looking back to when I was your age, I got knowledge not from the Internet. There was no such thing then. I did things that I mentioned above. They are preferred sources since they are the original ones, not some predigested and over filtered electronic crap.
  • Greg

Some of the people are liberals, and most of them went to college

It hurt my soul reading this. We aren't smart. We are losers. For the love of God do something worth a damn rather than screwing around on here pretending to know what the f*ck you are talking about. 

You're on the internet. You have 99% of the world's knowledge at your fingertips. ps. most people here are really dumb