Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 3 weeks ago

How can you make amazing pot roast without red wine. Almost every receipe I see requires red wine ?

Can you sub beef broth cause red wine is so expensive 

Use red cooking wine, same flavor, cheap price.

Yes, of course you can. I also add garlic, onion, salt and pepper. You can cut small slits in the roast, place piece of garlic in them. Brown the roast. Toss cut onion on top, salt and pepper. Place in slow cooker with beef broth. Cook on med all day and enjoy a very tender, flavorful and easy meal.

You absolutely don’t need red wine for pot roast, although it is the classic. You can substitute just about any fluid in an equal amount for the red wine, but I do suggest adding a little acid as part of what red wine does in pot roast is from the acidity.  White wine works, as does water, chicken, beef or vegetable broth or even beer or orange juice.  All of them will give their own sort of flavor.  If using water, broth or beer I’d probably also add a tablespoon or two of vinegar.

I actually haven’t used red wine at all in the last ... many pot roasts I’ve made in the last three years.  I was making pot roast one night about three years ago and didn’t want to open a bottle of wine for it (I didn’t want to DRINK any wine that night so didn’t want to open a bottle and get tempted) so I used about a quarter cup of pomogranite vinegar instead of a cup of red wine.  It was amazing!  The next time I used balsamic vinegar, also amazing!  I have tweaked that recipe more times since then, now I sprinkle just a teeny bit of cinnamon onto the beef with the salt and pepper before I brown it, that with the balsamic vinegar gives my pot roast it’s own special “zing”.  Cinnamon is lovely on beef and I’ve used it in my beef stew for decades, I can’t beleive it took so long to try it in my pot roast.

Here’s my basic recipe:

A large chuck roast, cut into several large chunks along the natural divisions of the muscles.  I will remove really big chunks of fat but leave plenty of fat for flavor.  I cut up the chunks because it allows me to brown more surface area that gives more flavor.

2 Tb butter and 2 Tb olive oil

Salt and pepper to taste and a small pinch of cinnamon

Beef Broth (chicken and vege broth work too)

A large onion

3 large carrots

A bay leaf or two depending on size

Thyme sprigs

Garlic to taste

A full flavored vinegar, about 1/4 - 1/3 cup - berry vinegar also lovely!

Rub the salt/pepper/cinnamon into the roast pieces while preheating a large, heavy bottom pot over medium heat on the stovetop.  

Once the pot is hot add the beef chunks with plenty of space between them, you may need to do it in more than one batch.  The meat should be sizzling merrily but not popping or smoking, adjust your heat to keep it at a lively sizzle.  Too low and it won’t brown, too high and you’ll ruin the “fond”, the brown caramel bits that build up on the pan that is the very important flavor base for your pot roast.

I typically use a timer set for a few minutes per side for the beef chunks, figure out what works for you.  You want to evenly brown all sides of the pieces of meat AND JUST AS IMPORTANT, keep your fond (the caramel stuff building up in the pan) at a light to medium caramel color, if it burns it will be bitter.  Turn your meat with tongs, don’t use a fork because you don’t want to lose juices.  As the meat browns it will release fluid, if the fond seems to be getting dark in places I’ll rub it with the juicing up meat to unstick it from the pan so it doesn’t burn.

Once the meat is browned remove it from the pot (do the second batch if needed, using a little more oil and butter if needed - and remove it too) and toss in your carrots and onion which have been cut into big chunks.  I typically just peel and quarter the onion and cut each carrot into 3-4 pieces.  Let the veges brown a bit.

Once the veges are a little colored add the meat back into the pan, add your bay leaf, garlic (don’t bother browning the garlic, it burns to easily) thyme sprigs, beef stock and vinegar.  Use stock or broth to get the fluid level about halfway covering the beef.  Cover the pot and put it into your preheated oven and cook til it easily tears apart with a couple of forks.

You’ll find all sorts of temperatures and timing for pot roast, but I cook mine overnight at 200 degrees for about 10 hours or at 225 for about 8 hours.  Yep, that low and that slow.  One of the many things I love about this way of doing it is that it keeps the house warm all night.  I also cook my pulled pork and carnitas this way (different seasonings of course) - I started doing this when knocking off the pulled pork from my favorite food truck and it seemed right for the pot roast so I tried it and it worked great.  I will typically start my (insert overnight cooking meat here) after dinner and it ends up going into the oven shortly before bedtime.

Note that I don’t put potatoes in my pot roast.  That’s because I very much prefer to do mashed potatos and serve the pot roast with it’s fluid in a bowl beside a big dollop of mashed potatoes.  If I need to thicken up the pot roast fluid I will use the insides of a cooked russet potato mixed with a cup of so of the hot fluid and then mixed back into the pot.

If parsnips are available I will sometimes add a couple of parsnips cut into large chunks along with the carrots.  The parsnips, which are very high in sugar, are particularly good with the cinnamon/balsamic version of pot roast.

I use both butter and olive oil for browning because the milk solids in the butter help to brown the meat well and the olive oil raises the smoking point of the fat in the pot and helps keep the butter from burning.  I also like the very subtle difference the bit of butter gives the finished pot roast.

As with any other sort of cooking practice will make perfect. In the winter I will sometimes cook a pot roast every week, I freeze anything I won’t eat in a couple of days in single or double serving packages so I always have plenty of easy meals on hand.  It’s a whole lotta fun to be able to whip up a lovely “comfort food” dinner quickly for an unexpected guest or two.  I can put the frozen pot roast straight into a heavy enameled cast iron pot with a cover on the stovetop over low heat and in 30-40 minutes (While I do something else, like whip up a salad and dessert) have a wonderful home cooked comfort food meal that smells and tastes like it took hours to cook.

Ah, I probably just wasted my time here, I looked at your question again and your concern about the red wine is the EXPENSE.  You probably won’t benefit from any of my advice about cooking as I will spend what I have to on the best quality ingredients I can find - THAT is what makes for a great dish.

Try strong, black coffee instead. Cheaper than wine, and imparts a very interesting, smoky flavor to the beef.  I NEVER use red wine on pot roast--preferring instead to putting it in the slow-cooker for about 8 hours with onion, garlic, thyme and oregano, and letting it simmer that way.  But the coffee trick also works. 

It's amazing because of the red wine, there is no substitute. And if you shop around you can find a bottle for around six bucks, that's inexpensive for red wine. And when you buy that cheap red wine make sure and get a Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, or a Merlot. It's beef so you're going to want a hearty red wine. If there's a Trader Joe's in your area you can get a bottle of Three-Buck-Chuck for guess what? Three bucks, that's right, $3. Three-Buck-Chuck is okay to cook with but I don't drink it, ever.

Amazing pot roast:

Brown the meat in a skillet...this seals the juices in the meat.

Line the bottom of a roasting pan with thickly sliced raw onions and two bay leaves, placed the browned meat on the bed of onions.

Mushrooms, cut in half

Carrots, cut in large pieces

Potatoes, quartered

Celery  cut in large pieces

1 clove garlic, minced

Arrange above veggies around the meat in the pan, sprinkle with minced garlic  salt and pepper. The reason for cutting the veggies in large pieces is so they do not over cook and turn to mush. 

Cover and roast in 325 oven for 2 hours.

The veggies will sweat and create a self basting steam and liquid in the roasting pan will keep the roast nice and moist. No need for wine or any other liquid.

Perfect every single time, I promise.

• kswck2

One mistake you may be making is just looking at the wines on the shelf. Speak to the shop owner. Tell him you want a Cheap red wine to cook with, maybe a Merlot or any dry red.  And many of those wines are no more than a couple of bucks per bottle. 

While you can merely substitute beef broth or just plain water for wine, remember you are using the wine for Flavoring, so that element would be lost. 

And NEVER buy 'cooking wine' or 'cooking sherry'-indeed never buy a wine you can't drink. 

I have an extensive wine rack-all for cooking, since i don't actually drink wine. 

I doubt that anyone will find an ordinary, common meal like a pot roast “amazing”. 

If you don't want to use wine then just miss it out. Make up the missing liquid with stock or even water. It might not taste as good but it should be perfectly acceptable.

I don't know where you live but in many countries red wine, certainly good enough for cooking with, can be bought quite cheaply.

Too expensive? I am currently cooking with Oak Plantation Merlot, $2.50 a bottle at Walmart. Don't believe the folk who tell you to buy a 90 point wine to cook with. Take a sip of what wine you are using and if  you don't gag, use it.

I have never used red wine making a pot roast. (I can not drink red wine so I do not cook with it)

Use beef broth or even water to make up the volume of red wine in the recipe you are using. 

If you do like red wine there are good wines that are not that expensive so if and when you see a sale pick one up and use it the next time you want to make a recipe calling for it.  And you do not HAVE to use all the wine some for flavor might be all you need.