Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 4 weeks ago

My mother in law has a picture of my husband and his deceased wife on the wall in her living room. Is this appropriate?

31 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

It's her house, she can put whatever  she wants there. 

• 4 weeks ago

How old are you? Do you really think that you can dictate to someone what legal pictures they can display in their own home. Are you American? You have reach a new low that I had never heard of - being jealous of a dead person's picture. Gosh, do you not have anything important going on in your life. Ugh..

• ron h
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

She's dead.  Not coming back.  don't be jealous of dead people. 

• Rick
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

It's her home, so she can have whichever photos in it she wants.   

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Yes.  It's part of his life.  

• 4 weeks ago

Pictures are about memories.  I'm not sure why you're all concerned about this.  Maybe your mother in law cared for and respected your husband's former wife, so she is keeping her memory alive with a picture.  I'm not sure what this has to do with you? 

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

My guess is this is tapping into something else, esp since you mentioned THREE times that your wedding photo is on a small table with another photo in front of it. 

So it's not about whether this is inappropriate.  It's her house and like your husband said, she can decorate it however she wants.  What is it that bothers you so much?

Obviously, this is just a guess, but one possibility is you feel like you're competing with his dead ex, and you're losing.  Someone answered it isn't possible to be jealous of an ex, but that is very untrue. In fact, I've seen this play out twice in my life so far.  When someone loses a spouse or long time partner, it's easy to put that person on a pedestal without realizing it.

I think you need to figure out why this matters so much and then address THAT issue head on. 

• 4 weeks ago

i would limit my visits with her

• A
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Her house and she may have had a close relationship with his late wife.  You have no basis to be jealous of someone who is dead.  Get over it.

• Jesere
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Yes, it's her house and you don't erase a person's past

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.