Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 3 weeks ago

Is the word “ain’t” a real word?

28 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

It certainly is. Don't use it in formal writing though.

Used by a Nobel laureate, eg: It ain't me, Babe.

• 2 weeks ago

"Aint" is as real as "got".

I would not use them in formal conversation, when speaking to someone above my rank.

• 3 weeks ago

Ain’t ain’t in the dictionary ain’t ain’t,  

But it is a proper word.  As are many similar abbreviations in the English language, such as,  isn’t and aren’t.

Ain’t was a normal abbreviation used by scribes, clerks and others ** as a substitute for:  ‘ is not ‘, ‘ are not, “ am not  “ and  “ am I not ‘.   The abbreviation has been in use for hundreds of years.

Abbreviations were discouraged at schools and universities as teachers disapproved of their use. (They wanted words to be written in full and there was little pressure on time.)

Presumably it was at schools that ain’t became classified as “common” and incorrect by the tutors.

**  Hardly people who could be described as “ not very intelligent “, especially as the population then was mainly illiterate.

• 3 weeks ago

Yes, it is a real, grammatically incorrect word that poorly educated (if at all) people still use today.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Jesere
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

It's not slang, it's a real word. It got a bad rap because it was associated with people who were not very intelligent.  It's in the dictionary.  

• 3 weeks ago

It is slang, a bastardization singular contraction of 'am not' or the plural contraction 'aren't' (are not).

Try using it in Scrabble. Not allowed.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

ain't ain't grammar. it should be is not

• 3 weeks ago

Depends to you not too others your thought matters not others 

• Mamie
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Shakespeare used it; Chaucer used it.  It was commonly used by educated people in the 19th century. It has a long history of acceptance.  It wasn't until the end of the 19th century that it started to become "substandard."  God knows why.

• 3 weeks ago

It is real in that it exists and is used and understood by people, but it is not a proper word in the dictionary.  It is actually proper if used correctly, which it isn't - it is a contraction for the phrase "am I not?"

• 3 weeks ago

It's a real word, but not a word used by educated people.

@ D50 --- That goes without saying.  Should I explain that for you?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.