Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 3 weeks ago

Is the word “ain’t” a real word?

It certainly is. Don't use it in formal writing though.

Used by a Nobel laureate, eg: It ain't me, Babe.

"Aint" is as real as "got".

I would not use them in formal conversation, when speaking to someone above my rank.

Ain’t ain’t in the dictionary ain’t ain’t,  

But it is a proper word.  As are many similar abbreviations in the English language, such as,  isn’t and aren’t.

Ain’t was a normal abbreviation used by scribes, clerks and others ** as a substitute for:  ‘ is not ‘, ‘ are not, “ am not  “ and  “ am I not ‘.   The abbreviation has been in use for hundreds of years.

Abbreviations were discouraged at schools and universities as teachers disapproved of their use. (They wanted words to be written in full and there was little pressure on time.)

Presumably it was at schools that ain’t became classified as “common” and incorrect by the tutors.

**  Hardly people who could be described as “ not very intelligent “, especially as the population then was mainly illiterate.

Yes, it is a real, grammatically incorrect word that poorly educated (if at all) people still use today.

• Jesere

It's not slang, it's a real word. It got a bad rap because it was associated with people who were not very intelligent.  It's in the dictionary.  

It is slang, a bastardization singular contraction of 'am not' or the plural contraction 'aren't' (are not).

Try using it in Scrabble. Not allowed.

ain't ain't grammar. it should be is not

Depends to you not too others your thought matters not others 

• Mamie

Shakespeare used it; Chaucer used it.  It was commonly used by educated people in the 19th century. It has a long history of acceptance.  It wasn't until the end of the 19th century that it started to become "substandard."  God knows why.

It is real in that it exists and is used and understood by people, but it is not a proper word in the dictionary.  It is actually proper if used correctly, which it isn't - it is a contraction for the phrase "am I not?"

It's a real word, but not a word used by educated people.

@ D50 --- That goes without saying.  Should I explain that for you?