????
???? asked in Social SciencePsychology · 3 weeks ago

How come people don't like to admit that they're schizophrenic?

Is it because they don't want to be labeled crazy????

Says 1.2 of earths population has schizophrenia, I believe its way more than that....

Two of my late relatives suffered from schizophrenia and they thought I was crazy. They refused to admit they had a mental illness. 

They may not KNOW that they are schizophrenic.

I believe that people who are schizophrenic deny that they are because they don't want the label. They may not want to be judged and seen as only crazy because of what the mental illness does to them. During a hallucination they may seem dangerous and people may not want to associate themselves with that person because of what they are seen as. Not all people with the mental illness are considered dangerous, it's hard to come forwards with because you never know who you're telling and you never know how they will treat you. 

You seem schizo. Please schedule an immediate appointment with a psychiatrist.

I don't know...and neither do I [insert smiley face here].  Keep a sense of humor about it, because it puts people's minds at ease.  There was a card I gave to my dad that said, "Roses are red/Violets are blue/I'm schizophrenic/And so am I." You might benefit from reading books by R.D. Laing, ?x4, one of them titled "On Being Sane in Insane Places."  Sometimes folks who take on the patterns and characteristics of schizophrenia are not actually schizophrenic---they were simply raised by a parent (or parents) who was so the kid(s) learned to adapt and took on a mirror-image type of schizophrenic patterning.  

My career-military electronics genius dad had an emotional breakdown on my 34th birthday, and the VA hospital's diagnosis was schizophrenia, but I didn't believe that diagnosis even though my mother did and she insisted he take the prescribed medications. When I was 8 years old, I wrote a poem about my military dad's disciplined seemingly emotionless personality: "You have big words for visions small/Make one sight seem like seeing all/Caught now in denial's cage/You have years, but have no age."  He was angered by the words at the time, but after the breakdown, he reached out to me as if to find his "lost" sense of unified self and we grew very close.  There is a movie based upon a true story ("A Beautiful Mind") that shows how high-functioning someone diagnosed with schizophrenia can be in an academic setting.  I'd recommend keeping a private journal for someone worried about being schizophrenic---it gives a needed third-eye perspective and helps sort through the complexities and angst.  

I agree. Schizophrenia has a huge stigma attached to it and most people think that everybody with schizophrenia has hallucinations, but there are different forms of schizophrenia. And not everybody who has hallucinations is dangerous. Schizophrenic people can be perfectly friendly people... they’re not all dangerous individuals. So those who have it and are afraid to admit it Are probably scared at the thought of people being fearful of them

It's suspected that a lot of history's most terrible people were Schizophernic. It has a very negative stigma and is treated like insanity. People believe it is dangerous and could cause the person to kill or hurt others. 

• Zirp

Because, as evidenced by some of the answers given here, too many people think it's the same as split-personality disorder

or that schizophrenics are dangerous.

Schizophrenia means you can get * psychoses* without apparent causes (staying awake for  a week, hallucinogenic drugs).

Worldwide, about 1.0 % of the population is affected. that's 70 million...

• amy

I have c-ptsd which is a mental illness. I dont care if I get labelled crazy, I am crazy. Schizophrenia has the worse negative stigma of all mental illnesses. People with schizophrenia are at a higher risk of being abused. Also when they are psychotic which is not all the time they are delusional therefor believe false thoughts are real no matter who or what you say to them.

Edit: sorry did you say 1.2 of earths population? Statistical fact 80% of people diagnosed with schizophrenia dont have schizophrenia. Its the most common misdiagnosis funny though how vastly different it is to nearly every other mental disorder.

It is unfortunate that people with mental illness are massively discriminated against.