Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 4 weeks ago

What happens when a newborn throws up in their sleep? ?

My one week old son has had quite an issue with throwing up, especially while he’s sleeping. Luckily I have had him in my arms every single time so far. What happens to him if he throws up in his sleep? I’m guessing he will most likely choke, but what if I’m sleeping as well and we don’t hear him? I am so nervous that I am going to wake up to him covered in vomit and no longer  breathing. Please help! :(

• Pippin

First, are you talking about throwing up or spitting up?  An infant who is vomiting frequently needs to be taken to the doctor.

Spitting up is common and normal, and no, baby won't choke and die. Babies have been spitting up for millenia.  Try burping him extra well after feeding, and be sure you aren't overfilling him (easy to do if he's bottle fed -- less easy if you are breastfeeding.)

Do not put baby on his side --- he will role onto his belly and that's what's dangerous.

• Jake

They could choke on their own vomit and die. You should probably place the kid on his or her side