Work availability ? ?

I work almost everyday at a restaurant. They approved my availability for Monday -Saturday mornings only and they have me scheduled for evenings that I cannot work. If i call off and say that I can’t work because I’m not available at that time can they fire me ?

It sounds like a misunderstanding.  Why haven't you told them that you applied for the "mornings" position, not the "evenings" position.  However, if you made the mistake, then expect to be fired because if they need someone in the evenings and you won't do it, then they will find someone who will.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • H

"I work almost everyday at a restaurant."

Managers should give you at least two days off work per week. At least you won't get too overworked. So if you find yourself with just one or no days of rest then that should be dealt with soon.

"They approved my availability for Monday -Saturday mornings only and they have me scheduled for evenings that I cannot work."

I don't know how new you are but I am going to assume you just started. So far, you have not proven yourself to employers. They are not going to make adjustments for you if it is inconvenient for them. If they are busy during evening shift then always assume you will be scheduled during evening. 

"If i call off and say that I can’t work because I’m not available at that time can they fire me?"

Yes. They can fire you. Although they pretty much wasted their own time and money hiring and training you knowing you can't work evening. This will be the fault of their own but they can still fire you.

Yes, you can be fired.

• Scott

Yes, they can. A business's first priority is ensuring the needs of that business are managed. Your personal scheduling preferences are way down the list of priorities. Maybe you should speak with who does the work schedule and see if changes can be made to accommodate you. It may or may not end happily.

ask one of the managers who does the work schedule.

they probably made a mistake on the schedule.