Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 3 weeks ago

Roommate always asks me if I’m gone for the weekend every time I’m not home during weekends?

This might seem stupid, but being asked that every weekend I’m not home has started to annoy me for some reason. I let my roommate know every time they text me about it, but is it wrong of me to not want to answer to that? I just don’t like people knowing about my business every time no matter how small it is.

Just tell her you don't know if you'll be gone for the weekend. And then ask her why. 

Im a private person as well and if you don't have a close relationship with your roommate it's weird for them to ask about your business. 

i would wonder what shes doing on the wknds

I feel like that's a common question college roommates ask. It's usually because they want to bring people over (for intimate stuff). You don't have to answer that, but I think it would be courteous to tell your roommate if you're not going to be there. Many roommates do. One to keep tabs on them and make sure they're okay/alive, and two so they know if it's okay to bring their intimate partner over without having someone walk in or making their roommate feel awkward. They might also want some alone time for other reasons and just want to confirm they'll have some time to wind down, cry in bed, pig out, eat something smelly, take care of personal hygiene stuff, etc. It can sound a little insulting for someone to ask regularly, as if they don't want you there, but they probably don't mean it negatively and just want some peace of mind knowing if they'll be alone or not.

Did you ever consider that maybe your roommate wants to bring over a "guest" and wants to know if you will be coming home and interrupting whatever they are doing.  Having a roommate walk in during sex can certainly spoil the mood.

If you don't want people to know about your business - then you probably shouldn't have a roommate.

It isn't telling them your business if you just leave them a message saying you won't be home until Sunday afternoon - after all - how does that tell them anything about what you are doing other than  you're not doing it at home.

Roommates are sort of a backup crew. Appreciate them. They aren't trying to be your Momma or Authority figure. They're watching your back. They might also like your company. Would that seem strange? 

start answering "what are you talking about, I am in the kitchen" every time