Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

How long after military service ends should one start looking for work?

boyfriend turning 30 living with mom & dad, not going to school or working, left the marine corps after 5 years, no deployments or injuries. Been over a year now since he’s out.. mostly playing video games or reading politics in the internet.. am I being unrealistic or too pushy by continually trying to get him to do something with his life?! Do most military service members take a couple years off before getting back to work? 

• 88

Five years is barely getting by rookie status...

the RAAF has an open contract after 12 years so a member can leave at any time my friend a Sgt was not looking for a job but got offered one never found out his pay but his company car was an LTD a very expensive car

You should have a Job within weeks of leaving the Military

Hes been out 5 years and haven't found a job? Sounds pretty lazy to me, By the way job applicants to get preference for hiring from employers. when did he leave the military? recently, its understadable, alot of veterens that left the military almost always in school, or found work the very next semester, or season.

Sounds like you hooked up with a LOOSER who is going to live off someone else including you until you wise up and get rid of the lazy bum..

Who's foolish enough to let him freeload off of them? 

He might want to just have some time off to decompress and readjust but sounds like he's milking it.  But I blame whomever is enabling him to be a freeloader.  

Ideally, you find a civilian job BEFORE your military service ends.

I am surprised the BUM you describe made it through recruit training.

When you process out,   you go thru a process that should  include typing up a professional resume, that includes all your military skills and training. 

That's so you are PREPARED and  can start looking for work the second you step off the base. There are people specifically THERE to type you up the most professional, sharp sounding resume. 

Employers don't want to hear you've been sitting on your butt doing nothing for a YEAR. 

I can understand wanting to take a breather once you get out.......a week, two weeks......a MONTH..........but after that........ YO......food doesn't buy itself...............you need income and a job. 

• Jon

Never heard of such a thing...I would have started work my 2nd week out of the Navy, except I had to get a copy of my (foreign) birth certificate or Naturalization doc to  accept job offer with major defense contractor. 

(time to upgrade to a grownup boyfriend, imo)

• Mrsjvb

No they don’t.  Truth is,  most  have college or a job lined up before they get out

Dump him and get a real man

Honestly drop his lazy butt. He isn’t worth the time or effort at all. As long as he is having things paid for he won’t do anything. Most would have been looking for a job BEFORE they got out or register to go to a college using the GI Bill.  He might have been in the Marines but he is a disgrace to the Corps.