Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsChemistry · 4 weeks ago

Multiple choice question? I think it's A, but I'm not sure. An electric cell consists of a silver electrode in a 1.0 mol/L solution of...?

An electric cell consists of:

1. A silver electrode in a 1.0 mol/L solution of silver nitrate,

2. A copper electrode in a 1.0 mol/L solution of copper nitrate, and

3. A salt bridge.

The spontaneous cell reaction is:

Cu(s) + 2Ag+ (aq) --> Cu^2+ (aq) + 2Ag (s) 

When the two electrodes are connected by a wire, what DOES NOT occur?

Following answers:

a) Electrons flow in the wire from the copper electrode to the silver electrode.

b) The silver electrode increases in mass as the cell operates.

c) There is a net movement of silver ions through the salt bridge from the silver 1/2 cell to the copper 1/2 cell.

d) There is a net movement of silver ions through the salt bridge from the copper 1/2 cell to the silver 1/2 cell.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago
    Favourite answer

There is a type in answer choice d. You typed this

"d) There is a net movement of silver ions through the salt bridge from the copper 1/2 cell to the silver 1/2 cell."

There aren't any silver ions in the copper half-cell. They are all being plated out onto the silver electrode and are not migrating at all. However, there are copper ions as the copper in the electrode gives up electrons and the Cu^2+ ions move into solution.

Since the silver side is experiencing a loss of positive charges, the Cu^2+ will begin to migrate up the salt bridge as the positive ion in the salt bridge moves into the silver solution.

Answer choice d should read this:

d) There is a net movement of copper ions through the salt bridge from the copper 1/2 cell to the silver 1/2 cell.

The site wouldn't let me upload an image. Here is the one I wanted to upload:

https://www.google.com/search?q=copper+silver+galv...

• 4 weeks ago

Since copper is being oxidized, electrons are moving from the Cu electrode through the wire to the silver electrode. That eliminates A.

B is also correct since silver is being deposited onto the Ag electrode.

So, you are down to C and D. 

In statement D, it says that silver ions are moving from the copper half-cell through the salt bridge. But the copper half-cell doesn't contain any silver ions. So, d) There is a net movement of silver ions through the salt bridge from the copper 1/2 cell to the silver 1/2 cell. must be the correct answer.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.