Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 4 weeks ago

My boss is asking me to do things that aren't my job?

For example, the other day, I was working on a spreadsheet of vending machine locations in Southern California, and the boss-man messages me, saying his son is at batting practice, and his wife was supposed to pick him up, but she's currently engrossed in the "creative process" and can't be snapped out of it. I tell him I'm a bit concerned about coronavirus, he tells me his son will be wearing a mask and can sit in the back seat. I pick up the little bugger outside the batting cages and his mask dangling from his ear on one side- it's broken. He says goodbye to a strange adult in shorts and jumps into the front seat and insists that we listen to his buddy's soundcloud rap. He puts it on, it's garbage- also totally inappropriate for a 12-year old. Talking a lot about finger-banging groupies in Espana and such. I drop him off at their house, go home, take a shower to get any potential covid off of me, by the time I return to my computer, the boss says he has to get on a conference call in 5 minutes and says I need to go pick up Goya beans so they can have a "Trump-friendly" dinner tonight, whatever that means, I protest and he tells me I'll never work in this town again if I don't do what he says. I need this job, considering the global depression and such- but we're a small business and he's at the top, I have no place to go to complain or anything! What do I do!?

You accepted the job, and I suppose that you applied for it.  If you don't like that job, then quit and go look for another job. If you worked for me and I learned of your attitude, I would use any excuse to release you.

unless it is illegal or dangerous  ,, it is in your job if  the ask you too do it

find a new job is the answer  

your creative writing is not very good 

• Ya-Hoo

This happens all the time. If you complain that it isn't in your job description to do all this bs then you run the risk of being "let go". I'd suggest uploading your resume to job sites if you are really bothered at your current workplace.

Not much you can do. Try to get a job where you have union protection or in a corporation with established corporate and HR policies. Small business is the worst.

TL;DR        .

• nappa

No union you will be told to do other jobs than our normal one.why do you think companies don't want unions..

There will always be work for talented people. You just need to decide if that means you.

The man evidently needs help and when I worked (I'm retired) I would sweep floors as long as they paid me.  Be thankful you have a job; so many don't.

• Sathi

Don’t buy a word of your story. Entertaining read, though. I especially liked the boss’s threat about never working in this town again if you don’t pick up Goya beans. 😄

Tell your Union about it. That is what the Union is for, to sort out problems like this. Employers are not allowed to exploit workers. If you are not a member of your Union, join.