Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 3 weeks ago

Should I get a colored rat?

Colored rats are illegal to have as pets where I live; only albinos are allowed (the given reason is that rats aren't native and it's feared that escaped colored pet rats will reproduce... but albinos won't?). This law, of course, makes no sense that I can see, because the only difference between albino and colored rats is the albino's lack of melanin.

I have been looking to get rats, and I found someone here who breeds colored rats. It's the perfect opportunity, my only concern is that I would have to be cautious sharing photos of them, I won't be able to bring them out in public and, even more importantly, I probably won't be able to take them to the vet.

Should I get some non-albino rats, even though they are technically illegal to have as pets? If so, would it be safe to risk taking them to the vet if illness befell them? That is my greatest concern.

Thank you!

Why do you like rats so much? You know who the most famous rat is? Tekashi 6ix9ine. Every sensible person on this planet hates him. Yet you STILL like rats. Snitch alert!