Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 3 weeks ago

How can I make a passable steak out of ground beef?

I promised my wife steak and lobster, but all I can afford is ground beef. I'm going to trap some crawfish tomorrow, so I will chop this up and make it into "lobster." How do I make a steak from ground beef. I did get sirloin ground beef, so it is closer, but still.

• Jane

Have confidence in your cooking, it's not about cost, it's about food cooked with love. Make an amazing surf and turf- Make burgers ( just mix your ground beef into patties with salt and ground pepper, grill/BBQ or fry), add some nice toppings with whatever you have ( fried onions, ketchup/salsa, grilled bacon, grilled cheese), buns. Forget 'steak' just make great burger.Cook your crawfish as you usually do. 

Make some nicely presented salads, that you know she likes. Eg, chopped lettuce/cucumber/tomato, slaw, potato salad. 

Serve with love and care, prepare ahead and remember to pay at least as much attention to your wife as you do to cooking!

So your going to give your imaginary wife an Imaginary Lobster and fake steak dinner.

Your Blow Up doll is going to leave you if your going to be such a cheap skate

It'd be closed to a beef burger than steak if you're using mince

• denise

You could form it into 'steak' shape and cook it in onion gravy [See Google for a 'Salisbury Steak' recipe].

No way catfish will pass as lobster and no way will ground beef pass for a steak. 

Make dinner 2 times this week, Salisbury Steak really is pretty good, better than a burger. Maybe roasted little red potatoes, some other veggie maybe a salad.  Next dinner catfish, cornbread maybe some fries, coleslaw. 

Save your money until you can give her the dinner you promised and next time don't make promises you can not keep

You can't make a passable steak out of ground beef. You can make a hamburger, or a Salisbury steak.

• Ray J

Cool story dude but currently you can buy a cheap steak cheaper than hamburger (ground beef).

• kswck2

Unfortunately, since the beef is ground about the best you can make with it is Salisbury Steak or meatloaf. And there is no way to make crawfish into lobster. 

Try calling the dish something more imaginative, like Beef and Sea or Plains and Sea. 

• Dj2541

The other name  for "ground beef " is  Hamburger mince, so I think  your  wife is  stuck  with  imitation  "Lobster"  and  imitation  "steak". Call it  something  else  like "Beef and  Reef" and tell her its  all a  part of  your  cooking  experience? 

It really can't become a steak because it was already ground. If I were you I would just make hamburgers. If you don't want to make burgers, though, I think your best option is forming a dense patty with the beef and shaping it into a steak shape. If you get a nice sear on it it might look like a steak. The only problem is when you cut into it it will still have the consistency of a burger. Maybe look up some methods to make the meat more compact. Maybe like a meatloaf?