Inheritance feud what to do?

My father died... I have 4 brothers & I’m the youngest & only girl.. he left me two retirement accounts. My brothers are angry. We also unexpectedly all received a nice check from his Life Ins and they’re still mad & saying it’s not fair that I got more. Now we’re receiving another check from his estate.. now they are demanding I liquidate my retirement accounts and split my share of the estate money “to do what’s right & be fair” or they’re going to cut me off/ out their lives. I have a son & not married.. I told them I’m not doing it & now they’re extremely angry with me. None of my brothers are struggling, they all make really great money & are married with families of their own. My dad told his wife this is what he wanted.  Am I wrong?

• David

My take on this?  Your brothers are being very disrespectful to your father, which is tragic...because he's not around to defend himself from that abuse.  

Also, it appears that your brothers are blackmailing you.  They claim they will cut you out of their lives if you don't liquidate retirement accounts and split the money with them.  That is emotional blackmail.

I don't know what is up with the boys in your family.  But if I was their father, I would want to disinherit all of them for being so greedy and mis-treating their sister.

I think to do what is right and fair, you should call your brothers' bluff.  Let them cut you out of their lives.  It's not much of a loss.  To me, your brothers sound like the type of people you would not want to spend much time with, anyway.  They are greedy and evil.  It might be best for YOU to distance yourself from people like that.  If they are offering to put distance between you and them...GREAT!!!

I'm an outsider here, so I have no emotional involvement with anybody, and I do not have a "dog in this fight".  From my point of view, you are 100% correct and all of your brothers are 100% WRONG.  You should copy/paste this answer and send it to them.  And tell them all that they each owe you a huge apology.

• Tj

No you are not wrong. It is yours, not theirs. You dad did what I thought was right. You owe nothing to anyone. If the accounts have your name on them that is what dad wanted, the others have no rights to that money. Do not worry about them, stay away from them...If you must, get a lawyer to protect your money. Let them be unhappy, it is yours not theirs.

Your father's last wish was to distribute his wealth and assets to his children in a manner that HE decided on. Your brothers are just being greedy. Wills and Trusts are decided upon by those who are having them written. They're NOT about what the children might or might not think is "right and fair". It's my guess that your father made the decision that his boys were grown-*** men that could take care of themselves, and he wanted to leave something extra for his little girl. As you said, your brothers all make good money and are not struggling to make ends meet. Yet there you are, a single mom that's probably not as fortunate (financially) as your brothers. No doubt your Dad also took that into account.

You are NOT wrong. It was your Dad's final wishes, and your brothers have no right to try to change what those wishes were.

You might point out to them that because of pay inequities, the earning potential for women is still much lower than that for men. So if they are concerned with being "fair", they need to consider that they will have much more in their retirement accounts than you are likely to. 

• Rick B

Tell them that your father obviously took the time and effort to dictate how he wanted his assets distributed and they should be happy with what they got.  You are absolutely not wrong here.

No, it sounds like they are greedy. Cut that negative energy out of your life.

no, u re not wrong. your father wrote the will in his clear mind. tell your brothers to take a hike.