Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 3 weeks ago

How do you tell a friend that you can't help them financially nicely?

What would you do if a friend is asking you money for gambling? They've lost all of their money previously and are in debt. They want more money for gambling because they believe they'll win this time. What other help or advice would you give to this friend

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Just tell them. You don't have to be "nice."

• 3 weeks ago

"No."  That's actually good enough. It makes no difference if they believe they'll win "this time". They thought they'd win before too. The best way to "nicely" tell someone you aren't giving them money is to just say, "No", and stick to it. 

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Just say no, then stop talking to them forever, seriously, anyone who says you for money isn't a friend. They're a user looking to take advantage of you.

• Tj
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

You tell them that you do not lend money to anyone. Tell them they have a problem and need to get help. If you lose that friend, so be it. By giving them money, you will never get back, you are also helping to get further in debt.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

i would just say sorry but i cant afford to help you

• 3 weeks ago

Tell it like it is.  They have a gambling addiction and you are not going to enable it, especially since you know you won't be paid back and your money is tied up in investments anyway so you don't have any to spare.  If she asks again, dump her immediately as a friend.

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Smile, hug them, and say no. No is a complete sentence. Repeat "no" nicely, until they stop asking.

• 3 weeks ago

You can’t.  I’ve been where you are and I loaned my friend over $5k and never got it back.  Same thing too, gambling.  The only reason he’s got any money now. Is because all the sports are stoped and there’s no betting.  

Being nice won’t help, he’ll call you mean or uncaring and threaten to never talk to you again.  You have to draw a line somewhere and come hell or high water stick to your guns.  If the friendship goes by the wayside, so be it.  It probably will by the way.  That’s why gamblers seldom have friends or family.  The guy I know has two sons, both have taken out restraining orders on the guy.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.