strpenta asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 month ago

Sexual abuse and memory?

My cousin (a few years older than me) says my grandfather abused her when she was little. As far as I know, she has never said otherwise.

My grandfather is now deceased - he was a womanizer but anti-social most of the time, I've never heard anyone else complain about childhood with him and I never noticed him wanting to be around kids.

My grandmother says my cousin is confused and that it was the babysitter. But she has her own reasons for not wanting to believe my cousin. She was desperately scared of being poor, he had a good income and she had 3 or 4 kids at the time she was taking care of.

I guess my question is, is it possible for a child of around 5 to be confused about who molested them?

It's possible but I was molested at 4 and am very definitely clear who did it. I remember him.

• amy

no a five year old can tell the difference between other people and faces.

Don't make excuses for this pitiful man you call your grandfather, he's a piece of garbage and it's good that he's deceased.

Not all pedophiles express wanting to always be around kids, they need to fly under the radar. 

She's not confused, someone doesn't forget who molested them. Your grandmother belongs in prison, she's a disgraceful human being. 

Any thing she said is mixed,bye,forget or grieve seriously.Tough words and jokes are denied and brings fight,ya don,t do them.Please her.Bring sunny days back to there!

• Nat

I mean. Not really, no. Did your grandmother report this babysitter? If not, your grandma is full of ****, gross, and should be charged with child endangerment. Unless your grandmother reported this babysitter, she knows what your grandfather did. 

Recognising others pain is a human necessity. Acknowledging the suffering of others is also key but difficult to do, but thank God that he cares enough about us (john 3.16). You can go to God with your problems and He'll hear you.

Anything is possible, but one doesn't stop thinking sexual abuse.  If she is now saying this happened, why did she wait until he passed before saying something?  Maybe he still frightened her?  I would not believe the grandmother, as she needed this man's support, and maybe she still does. Frankly, it might be time for her to move on with her Life.  You can't dig him up from the grave, and sit down and have a lecture session with him.  Life goes on.  If she wanted justice, why did she wait for him to pass on?