Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsSkin Conditions · 1 month ago

What is this acne-like rash I get immediently after swimming in ocean? ?

Woke up with perfectly clear skin, not even pimples forming under the skin or redness, went to swim in the ocean early in the morning and when I came home a few hours later I noticed my face was very red, in a few more hours these bumps which look just like acne have formed all over my cheeks and forehead. It's been two days now and it is slowly going away at the same rate a bad breakout would.

This has happened twice now and i'm just so confused. My face has never broken out all over so quickly before, but I go swimming in the ocean all the time so why would it only happen on these two occasions?  I do not think it has anything to do with sun exposure because I work outside and I am in the sun all the time. Has this happened to anyone else and if so do you know how I can avoid it in the future? Is this really acne? Any advice at all would be super appreciated! I can't find any information about it anywhere. 

Other info: I am 21 and use topical tretinoin cream (which I know increases sensitivity to the sun, but again I am in the sun often without an issue)

As an additional to the others also jelly fish larvae can cause a rash as you swim through the cloud

• Fantom

Swimmer's itch, also called cercarial dermatitis, appears as a skin rash caused by an allergic reaction to certain microscopic parasites that infect some birds and mammals. These parasites are released from infected snails into fresh and salt water (such as lakes, ponds, and oceans).

Source(s): My friend Google
  • Eva

Sun reflects off the water and sand so it is much more than your everyday exposure.  The cream you are using increases that effect as well.  Try using a heavy duty sunblock and showering immediately when you get home to see if that helps.