lila
lila asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 4 weeks ago

Can we combine fake flowers with real flowers at our wedding?

Would it look bad to use mostly fake flowers for centerpiece arrangements on the reception tables and throughout the ceremony combined, of course, with some real flowers? Not only would this save money but then also we could keep the fake flower arrangements forever after our wedding day.

Also this is a weird question, but will I get to help set up the day of or day before to add the personal touches that I want? I have a lot of farmhouse signs that I want to use to decorate, a collection of photos, etc. Who usually sets up? We're looking at greenhouse venues!

There's no rule anywhere that flowers at a wedding have to be any specific thing. Combine real and fake to your heart's content. If you get really good silk flowers the guests probably won't even be able to tell the different. 

• sarah

I had nothing BUT fake flowers at my wedding. Everything looked beautiful and all the decor got tons of compliments from guests.

And if you want to help set things up, go for it! I know lots of brides who have done that, and I did it myself. The venue I got married in let us come in on the morning before the wedding and spend the day decorating.

You didn't explain your role in planning or executing this wedding. But generally, one can do just about anything one wants, so combine away! I think your idea is a great one.

• Trish

Ask your wedding coordinator...it's almost as if you're not getting married if you don't know who sets up the venue.  Do you have a backyard or pots then you could grow some flowers.

Are you going to do the arrangements yourself? Do whatever you want. You can save whatever you want, too, but - what are you going to do with a couple dozen flower arrangements that no longer look like your wedding flowers? I get it, really. I saved my silk bouquet *intending* to put it in a shadow box and frame. Never happened.

You will have to ask the greenhouses how much help each will offer, how much decorating they allow, how it will be done, and how much time they will allow for you to be in there, both to decorate, and for the wedding. Do weddings happen only on the days the greenhouse is closed? Before it opens? After it closes? Don't assume anything. It's not a weird question at all, but different businesses will have different requirements. New York Botanic Garden charges the happy couple $15 per person per hour for set-up and cleanup help.

• Ocimom

You can to some extent.

if you wanna look cheap 

the bridesmaids (slaves) set it up

You can do anything you want in terms of the flowers. I'd do a little trial to see if mixing in real flowers looks okay.  You might just want to go with the fake ones.

As for set up, that is between you and the venue.  It is rare that you can set up the day before -- you'd probably have to pay a huge fee to rent the space for all the time.   Many people do set up their own venue and other people pay for venue staff to do it.  You can make a detailed plan of how you want things to look and where you want your signs and photos displayed. 

• drip

I got married in the middle of winter and had silk flowers for everything.  I had my bouquet made into a floral piece with a Crystal bowl from my grandmother.

I used very high quality silk flowers and I had guests that had to touch them to see that they were not real.

I would not mix real and silk in the same floral piece.  If you want real flowers for your bouquet then do all real.  Then have all table centerpieces silk. 

Set up varied for each venue.  Some will do it, some will charge to do it and others won’t do it at all. You have to come in and set it all up.

• Stacie

We did exactly this.   Flower bouquets and boutonnieres were all real, the flowers at the altar were real. Everything else was artificial.

To be honest, no guest actually pays attention or would even know.

Good luck and congrats!