Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 4 weeks ago

Why do seniors need walkers if they run with them across the darn street?

Many people, and I am one of them, don't have a problem with walking but do have a problem with balance. In my case I become very dizzy very suddenly - with no warning sign - and need that cane, frame or 'whatever' to keep me safe because there isn't always a lamp post or barrier etc. for me to grab on to.  Without the walker or similar aide we could easily end up falling into oncoming traffic.  However when I am not dizzy I can walk far more quickly than many other people of my age and younger.

They are great to use on people who insist on parking in a handicap's spot without a placard or license. The old persons can swing those walkers line clubs and smack the **** out of you!

• Snid

Balance.  Many people who use walkers can walk perfectly fine but lose their balance easily.

• Sam

That's a silly question.

Walkers get us a better parking spot than you dummy. 

The walker or the stick is used also to maintain balance should the user stumble over uneven surface.

I use a walking stick when i go out, because on uneven ground i can lose my balance and it gives me support, at home i walk around without a problem without it. like a walker it's security. i'm glad you asked instead of letting it annoy you because there is a reason for everything.

• RP

Some people have walkers as a security device should the need arise, but, these same persons are able to speed up their walking for safety reasons, like getting out of the way of traffic. At the same time, there are people who have walkers that are unable to walk without them and you won't see them running under any circumstances.

• ?

Balance is the answer.  A walker might be all that is needed to help someone keep upright.  

• Jojo

Walkers are used to give the user stability, balance and support and confidence when walking. Often a walker user is recovering from an injury or has joint problems where if they did not have a walker to lean on, they may fall over.

Some people  can walk a few yards or more without the walker but need it for longer walks. 

Yes, there  MAY be fakers out there who use a walker to convince authorities that they need invalid benefits, or to seek sympathy from others, but most people using walkers, especially the elderly, are genuine, and need to use it.I am recovering from a pelvic injury and I still need to use support in the way of crutches when walking outside. Don`t dump ALL elderly people  into the same basket, just because you saw one running with a walker. 

• I think it's because the walkers give them better balance and better ability to walk and so they maybe feel they can walk faster.