Should I get a new car or a used car if I only drive like 30 miles a week?

I was thinking a used car under $10k cash or finance a new car under $25k and put a $10k downpayment. What do you think I should do? Please don't say take the bus because I absolutely hate taking public transportation so it s not an option neither im too shy to be seen in a bike or scooter so that is not an option either. Just need something fairly reliable but not too fancy that I have to worry about it getting scratched since I will park it outside or gravel pavement in my backyard. What should I get?

My personal opinion, buy a reliable used car and drive it. If its under $10k just pay it off. Financing a used vehicle tend to have a high interest rate. (That's how most dealership makes their money) 

Hope that helps. 

used.   10K? No way. Much cheaper than that can be had.  Look in your local NEWSPAPERS under autos for sale or under miscellaneous or estate sales.  Would be very surprized if you could not pick up a decent ride for 2K or LESS.

One decent ride I picked up from a garage was because the car was abandoned.  Cost me the cost of the mechanics time to assess the damage. $400.  Repair he told me what was wrong and I did it at home and the cost of the part was maybe $150. and a week off the street. So $550 was the cost(I pay myself nothing for my labor) and I drove that car (it started at 375000 miles with a broken odometer so it was not counting the miles - I fixed that on the kitchen table and put it back in so it would read off the miles.  Cost 1 tube modeling glue.   

I put 1,000,000 (Million) miles on that car. when I was done not doing anything else. in 15 years. That is the kind of junk you can find if you look around...at everything. Car was not damaged even after I was through...not rusted out...nothing.

• Jensen

+1 on the used one.

IMO, a slightly used Civic or Mazda 3 will suit your needs perfectly.

• Da

Used would better suit your needs 

• Scott

Buy what you eant, it doesn't matter.

New cars are for suckers. Buy a good used car and let the suckers buy new. 

You should just use a taxi. It will be cheaper.

• y

Split the difference and get a preowned certified one that is only a couple of years old. Put the 10 down and finance the rest.

Last new car I bought was in 88. They just don't seem worth the price to me anymore

• A

don't bother with a new car when you hardly drive,   you should be able to find a decent used vehicle under 10K.  Why go into debt?