Is the urge to cultivate gratitude inherently selfish?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Yes, but so is the urge to eat healthy and exercise. Being selfish isn't necessarily a bad thing. It is our ability to protect ourselves and be our best so that we are capable of helping others. A good reason for cultivating gratitude is to cultivate awareness, so that you don't just take things for granted and can appreciate how they came to be or the people who made it possible.

• 1 month ago

yes and so what if it is?

• 1 month ago

Asked and answered.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

yes, but there can still be some love. By becoming aware of your thoughts, you can surrender them to God who will show you have to make them more loving.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

It is selfish if you want to be recognized for it, otherwise it is just a very natural thing to do, there are so many things were we can be grateful for, but if we fail to be grateful for things we have received, all those things just might be taking away from us and we will be left poor and desperate. 

• Well! You can grow potatoes, if you don't have a hoe n, apply to the vegetable shop!

• Archer
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Serving a master is slavery. The master asking you to pay for that slavery is stealing.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Only if it is to cultivate gratitude for oneself. A mother's urge to cultivate gratitude in general in her children so that they grow up to be gracious, humble, and unentitled people is not inherently selfish, for example. But if I go around claiming credit and trying to make people be thankful to me because I feed off that, for another example, then that's inherently selfish, 

• 1 month ago

It might be one of the few things that's not selfish! Ingratitute but even more so disrespect is so common nowadays!!!

• No....getting positive reinforcement when you perform a selfless act, is normal

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.