Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootballEnglish Football · 4 weeks ago

Who was the best English goalkeeper you have ever seen?

• August

Gordon Banks !                        .

Do you know I think it might have to be one of the two Leicester lads

Banksey or Shilton.

It's hard to say before then as the game was so totally different but from a more recognisable form of the game it would have to be one of those two I think.

It is not right to say as they were all white

I always thought that Ray Clemence and Peter Shilton were the best probably Shilton

Tim Flowers- In the penultimate game of Blackburn Rovers title winning season(v N/cle on VE day) he made 2 of the best saves I've seen at Ewood Park(worldies).

It ended 1-0 that night so crucial in us winning the league. He was unlucky not have been capped more times for England

I have a brother who is a special needs teacher, Flowers came to their school my bro said he was brilliant with them hilarious(typical keeper) whilst Le Saux and Wilcox didn't want to be there. Honourable mention for Stuart Ripley he used to come in his own time not for some photo opp. Sorry to go off piste just thought I'd say Football is the People's game and played by the best people.

Neville Southall(Bury Binman)- I know he played for Wales but in 1980's he was the best keeper in the world. Probably.

• Adam

Seen live at a game. Not actually attended many premier League games since 2002, but was a Newcastle season ticket holder between 93 and 02. In my opinion. Nigel Martyn. I thought he was a better all round keeper than David Seaman.

None was really that great. Maybe Shilton, but in my opinion not one of the best five gk worlwide then. Overall, Banks must have been the best English one.

Ouf, that's like asking who's the smartest kid in the special ed class, lol. Probably Joe Hart when he was at his best around 2010-13ish period, but that's really not saying much because he was average even then. I don't get how a nation of tall people can't produce a single good GK.