Caitlyn asked in PetsDogs · 1 month ago

How do I stop my dogs aggressive behavior?

Today at the dog park we were walking around and we came across the puppy in the park. The puppy was bigger than my 3-year-old 14 lb mini schnauzer and had lots of energy. At first my dog played with him and chased him under a picnic table and they played there then my dog seemed like he felt like he had lost control and then he went behind me and was obviously done playing. The puppy didn’t stop and stayed running and jumping around him and putting a paw on him. My dog then got a little aggressive. The owner of the puppy tried to call him by the puppy would just run to him then back to my dog. It’s not the guys fault his dog still wanted to play. It’s a puppy. I get it. And he didn’t want to grab his dog from mine because he’d have to come near me and with the virus we shouldn’t be doing that. But I didn’t know what to do. My dog just was trying to walk away but the puppy wouldn’t let him so he got aggressive. How do I get him to stop? I get scared to take him to dog parks for this reason. He is not really a fan of puppies specifically or just dogs with a ton of energy. He seems like he likes to be in control. 

Your dog was only giving warning signs to the pup but the pup ignored them & to enforce self protection he growled or snarled louder warning the pup.  You dog is not aggressive, he was be defencive not aggressive.

You train it out of your dog that simple

if your going to take him to a dog park that's off leash then he's fair game.Simple solution don't take him there or go at a different time

My dog NEEDS to feel like she's in control.  I don't take her to dog parks.  It's all fun and games until someone gets bitten or a dog gets mauled.

If MY dog was being mauled by a puppy I wouldn't care what the virus requires.  That owner would have come and grabbed his dog, or I would have grabbed the puppy.

I am not a fan of dog parks.  I've seen too many lawsuits over bites, people knocked down, maulings.

Stop taking him to the dog park to play.

If you do not WANT to deal with rude, crude and socially unacceptable dogs - then stop going to dog parks.  The parks are "FULL of"... UNTRAINED, poorly trained & poorly overseen dogs.

However, to the second part, I agree with Amber  I do not think your dog was being "aggressive" - he was just telling the RUDE, PUSHY puppy to BACK OFF.  he has a RIGHT to stand up for himself (esp when YOU DON'T!!)    

Now - when the owner of the puppy called it and it ran over & then ran back - WHY DIDN'T YOU - take CONTROL.... and PICK your 14 pound dog UP, and walk off?   You did not PROTECT your dog and you FORCED him to back the puppy off - as best he could!

• Amber

We don't have "dog parks" where I live but I've heard quite a few negative things about people who have no control over boisterous dogs or down right vicious dogs letting them off leads. I think dog parks are a good idea but there should be rules about keeping ALL dogs on a lead. 

Getting his castrated will help calm him and is something any responsible dog owner should do (guessing you know this and have done it but some don't so just thought I'd mention it). 

Keep your dog on a lead in future. Doesn't sound like your dog was being aggressive, just got fed up with the pup. So many people put dog communication down to aggressive.

My dog growled at another dog = aggression

My dog snapped at another dog = aggression.

When most of the time it's not aggression, it's communication. My pup got put on her back, growled at and nipped by our other dog. It wasn't aggression it was correction. My pup was jumping all over our other dog, who gave him repeated back off signals and the pup ignored her. This was some years ago now. He soon learned how to behave. Unless this is not the first time I don't think your dog was being aggressive.

Some people here will tell you NOT to take your dogs to the dog park at all. I do, because I know the people there and the dogs there. As soon as I see an unfamiliar dog, we out. 

At the same time, we humans often assume that a dog growling or barking or pawing is aggression, when it's really not. Some cranky old pups that come around the dog park will snap at my boy, but that's just them saying, "OK pup, back off, I'm done," and they wander off. Your dog knows that it's a puppy. The puppy couldn't care less about older dogs and will push buttons until the puppies get put in their place, which is GOOD for them to learn manners and boundaries. Do you know how many times my dog has rattled and annoyed older dogs? ALL THE TIME, but they do growl at him and will paw him down and he has now learned to STOP. Before, he didn't. He didn't know any better, but now because of older doggies teaching him lessons, he's learning. 

And another option would be to simply not take him anymore if you think he'll snap or bite the wrong dog and get his world rocked. No one wants that to happen and all dog parks are a risk. 

• Maxi

Why take the dog to a place that has lots of uncontrolled, over excited dogs and owners who think they should allow these dogs off lead...letting a dog off lead is a privilege and  no dog gets off lead until it has 100% recall as a very basic