Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

Dad always seems to want me to join him when he goes out on his boat. I don’t like boats much and find him difficult. What should I say?

Besides, there are alligators everywhere near where we live. He loves boats and has 3 of them parked at home which he occasionally takes out for recreational use. Neither mom nor I particularly like boats.

i would just try to enjoy your time with him, youre lucky you still have your dad around, wish i did

I used to hate a lot of things but Im so lucky my parents were adventures people as I learned to love many different things like travel, fishing, collecting stamps and coins. foreign films. painting, science and so on as before I just wanted to hang with friends and ride my skateboard.

• Jerry

Difficult or not, he's your dad and he's trying to have some quality time with you. Try to meet him half way. "Dad, I'd rather do almost anything than go out on a boat. Let's do something else." Be prepared with suggestions for some other shared activity like shooting hoops, hitting the gym, doing a home improvement project together. 

Maybe it isn't so much about you going on the boats with him that he wants but to spend time with you.  Suggesting something else to do with him would be my answer.

Have you actually tried going for a boat ride?  Perhaps you should before immediately shutting your dad down when he asks.

• y

Be honest, dad, boats are not my thing.  Dad is trying to share with you something he loves plus being trapped like that, increase the opportunity to bond.  If it's not your thing, it is not your thing.

He brought you out, so that you can appreciate his work with him. He hopes someone can respect him that he put in effort and he wants to share his pride.

You can help him overcome by first, getting into his heart. He needs to talk to someone whom he can trust about his difficulties and problems. He just needed a time away with you, to share his struggles, that's why he choose you. 

Take the time and walk quietly besides him and ask him to share his problems. 

After when he sort out himself, he will do things better with more uncluttered mind. 

• Rick B

You tell him that you don't really care for boats.  It makes you sick or whatever.