find/dig out?

Which one do you prefer to say in this context?

- She was finally able to find/dig out her favorite coffee mug after searching for a long time

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favourite answer

Those have two different meanings. If the cup was on a shelf or in a cabinet, she found it. If it was under a bunch of other stuff in a trunk or packing box, she might have dug it out. "Out" means that it was "in" and under other things. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Dig out is colloquial, and more colorful, but it could be acceptable here for the action you have in mind. Find is just simpler, more normal, and I prefer it. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I like find.

Digging, I would rather use with a shovel.

• D50
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Find suggests you didn't know where it was. Dig suggests it was buried under other stuff. So use either one depending on which meaning you want to convey.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

DIG has several meanings, one of them is " to search in something in order to find an object in something. Ex. He dug around in his bag for a pen.Going by thiZ, "dig" appears preferable.

For normal situations, find too is applicable.

• 1 month ago

You can't "find out" something you're looking for, but you can 'find' it.  To 'find out' something means that you have learned something,

Use a simple sentence:  'She was finally able to find her favorite coffee mug after searching for a long time,'  If you're intention is to imply that it was buried under other objects (in a box, for example), then you can use "dig out."  

• RP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Either could be fine, depending upon the idea to be expressed, but I prefer find.

• 1 month ago

I have no preference.  Dig out refers to a lot of work finding a thing that was buried or hidden.  finding does not imply that idea (more a matter of looking in the correct place than scrounging through a bunch of mess).

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Fine since it makes more sense. Not sure if dig out would work in this situation, I mean maybe, but it just sounds like there is dirt that u are digging

• 1 month ago

They mean totally different things.  

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.