Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

What documents other than an valid American passport can a us citizen enter the U.S with?

I tried to renew my U.S passport but due to COVID-19 I couldn’t get one set of supporting document I needed within 90 days. Now I have an emergency and would like to get back but can’t since all I have is my birth certificate, other non U.S government id’s, a very old expired U.S passport, a receipt from paying to renew my passport and a  few other baby documents. I’m 20 btw. I don’t have the funds to visit the embassy again.

Technically, you need a passport.  You are unlikely to be deported if you don't have one, but most airlines won't take you to the US without one. 

Call.  I once lost my passport and the Consulate wrote me a letter saying that it was an emergency and they couldn't get me the passport.  I traveled all over on this letter and nobody gave it a second thought.  But they were easy borders.

• Maxi

Really depends on how youare traveling and where from, any international flights will not accept you travelling without a passport and the only 'other way' is to go to the US embassy prove who you are and get an emergency travel document

• Lisa A

If entering at a land crossing, you can use an enhanced drivers license. (Only issued by  Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Vermont, and Washington)

An emergency travel document as issued by the US Consulate in whatever nation you're currently in.