KLB
KLB asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 month ago

Is there such a product as a manual can opener that is EZ to use and SMOOTH to operate (painful hands is the issue)? Thank you?

• elhigh

They're out there.  EZ-Duz-It and Swingaway are pretty much carbon copies of each other, providing plenty of leverage for both closing and cranking.  When my wife's arthritis started becoming an issue, we got a new Swingaway and it's...better.

If you have painful hands you may just have to bite the bullet and dedicate an outlet to an electric.  That's the lowest-effort option you'll find, unless you can find one of the old-fashioned, wall-mounted kind with the BIG crank.

I have one of these:

https://www.hartsofstur.com/swing-a-way-wall-mount...

I find the crank action very smooth and easy.  Whether I would recommend it or not depends on if you can hold the can one nanded while loosening it after opening it.  That's the only issue.  I can't manage traditional can openers at all.  Sometimes my left hand can be a little unexpectedly weak and I worry that I might drop a can, but so far so good.

Might depend on why your hands are painful, or what part of them is painful, and how painful. I have a Swing-away one that's easy to operate. I clean it and oil it very lightly from time to time with Tri-Flow oil, and that helps keep it going smoothly. I have another, the Chef'n EZ Squeeze, which you operate by squeezing the handles, like a pair of scissors rather than by twisting a handle. For some people, that might be easier. It's a little trickier to get placed right on the can but once you do that it works nicely.

• Eva

My favorite one is from Pampered Chef. OXO also makes good ones that are available in the store.

Get an electric one that restaurant kitchens use.  Not cheap.

• Tavy

Never found one , I have arthritis, you need an electric one.