Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 4 weeks ago

To people that are bilingual or multilingualism. What language to do you think in/thoughts are. Dream in ?

• Zirp

You don't need a language to be able to think.  I consider myself to be a verbal/wordy person, but I still have thoughts that I don't have words for.

To me, fluency means you think directly, without " translating"  in your head. Like if someone speaks to you, you answer in that language, "instinctively"

Source(s): Dutch, fluent in English, German and Esperanto, semi-fluent in French

To get to the thinking in the language stage I went to school in the country the language was dominant in.  That solved that problem very well.  Being fluent in both and able to change channels to either one or even be on both interchangeably is nice.  Even at this stage, if I ever dream, anything said is understood but what language it was said in?  I think I have heard both many times.  I think I don't take that into account when I hear it.  

• Jolene

I was raised speaking English and Tagalog at home. I think in English.

Fun fact, did you know a percentage of the population does not think in words at all, but rather in abstract? Word thinkers, those who have an inner monologue, have a great deal of difficulty grasping that.