Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 4 weeks ago

14 year old plays video game the whole night and sleeps during the day?

There is no physical school due to the pandemic. He is at home all day so he just plays games until he is exhausted, which is normally the next morning. I tried to turn off Wifi and phone service at night, but he has downloaded offline games to play. He is almost 15. Please don't lecture me that I should take his electronics physically. It just doesn't work in my household. How are your teenage boys doing during this time?

• sdc_99

Mine is in the same boat as yours.  But I have not turned off the Wifi.  He's talking with his friends (many of whom he knows in real life) and playing games.  He finished the school year respectably.  He's done what he needs to do.  If he wants to mess up his sleep schedule for the summer, it's OK with me.

Ok for one you need to nip this in the butt and try bonding with him. For example instead of letting him get away with spending so much time on video games, suggest that he do chores or do something fun with you or a friend. This can be anything such as playing a sport in the backyard or even playing a board game. However this needs to be something that he finds more enjoyable than TV, otherwise he's not going to participate. You can also suggest that he read a book or catch up on some school work so that he doesn't fall behind in school. If he's refusing to wake up, you can always try dumping water on him like another answer said or try airhorning him awake. As for confiscating the item well if I were you I'd take it and put it in the trunk of my car and lock it until the next day and I'd do the same thing with every other electronics like the TV remote or even the TV. Don't destroy the item though, that's not only immature but it's not going to teach your son anything other then breaking things is the appropriate way to solve problems but it is ok to sell it if you have to.

Switch off the electricity as their battery will soon run out and make sure you get them up early next morning, sure they will moan and tell you in a minute but make it clear if they don't get up you will pour a bucket of water over them to make them move, sure the bed will get wet but it is their problem - I done it once with my daughter when she was a teen and never needed to do it again and now she has 2 teens that move when they get threatened with the water.

You need to take away your son's electronics, period. And he needs to be forced to find some other way to entertain himself, like maybe doing some extra SCHOOL WORK. Your claim that taking away his electronics doesn't hold water with me. It's BS, and you know it. Of course you can take the toys away- you just don't want to.

lol your a terrible parent

Your a moron SENSE YOU LET A 14 year old do what they want to.. YOU should have started 14 years ago and been a actual parent who told their kid what to do and made them do it. IT'S CALLED PARENTAL DISCIPLINE..

• edward

When i was a teen my time would not be spent playing video games.  Why?  There are always things to do around the house.  There is food to cook, there is a room to clean, there is laundry to be done, there is grass to be cut, there are plants to be watered, ect.  If i had time to spend playing video games back then i would enjoy it for the time i had...in my opinion though...video games weren’t a good waste of my time

Why wouldn't taking the electronics work?  Maybe you are a single parent and work nights allowing the child to find and repossess the game console when you are at work.  If so, selling or destroying the console would solve the problem effectively.

Lazy teenagers are lazy because you allowed them to be so, developing bad habits.  How do you fix it?  Give them lots of things to do during the day (chores) and specific punishments for failure to do as told.  When they don't have time to sleep in the day, they won't.

Seems as if you are confused as to who the adult is in your household.  If you cannot confiscate his electronics then you have lost all control of your teenager.  Get back to adulting...you are the parent, what you say goes. 

My teenagers are doing fine.   But I have parenting skills. 

"Please don't lecture me that I should take his electronics physically."   If you think that will solve the problem, you're delusional.   You have a kid who doesn't respect you or give two shiits about what you think or say.    Keep your eye on the ball.