How do I talk to my ex girlfriend?

My girlfriend and I met when I was a senior in high school. We dated for nearly 4 years. We were close with each other’s family and everything seemed great. The two of us would often take out of town vacations together. The more time we spent together, the more we would talk about our future together. It really felt like we were in love. Then one day she said she didn’t love me anymore and wanted us to break up. It came out of nowhere. She never really gave me a very good reason. She did basically say that I was too clingy. I can acknowledge that was true. At the time it felt like my heart had been ripped out of my chest. It’s been nearly two years now. I’ve dated a few girls since then but nothing as serious and what me and my ex had. Even after two years, I still find myself thinking about her and wishing there was some way to fix things. I’ve changed a lot since we broke up and I’m sure she has too. I know the smart move would be to just let her go, but I just can’t seem to get her out of my mind. We both work at Walmart, but on opposite ends of the store. We barely ever see each other and never speak when we do. We haven’t really said a single word to each other since we broke up. I just don’t even know where to begin. I’m pretty sure she has a boyfriend now, but I don’t want to have any regrets. So any advice on where to go from here would be great! Thank you!

You were both young - probably too young for a relationship because it lasted 4 years from schooldays - and she obviously out-grew it.  As your first love, you were devastated because losing her so suddenly was a shock and that's why you've been unable to move on properly since then.  Working in the same store with this girl probably doesn't help matters either and not speaking or pretending not to recognise each other makes an 'atmosphere' which neither of you need.  I don't suppose you can fix things and get her back because neither of you are the same people now - but perhaps it would be good to talk to her casually as a workmate and get a bit of closure.  Speaking face to face will show you/and her that you are both different now from the youngsters you were 2 years ago.  A casual smile and a 'Hi there how are you?'  next time you pass each other in the store should lead to a brief conversation.  I wouldn't go straight into your past history together immediately but you'd both be on casual/friendly speaking terms and would probably find out if she's got a b/f now.....and she'll find out that you have had other g/fs.      

• KFC

Mate, she was probably two timing you and screwing some other guy behind your back and then left you to date him 

• keerok

It all starts with, "Hi!How are you?"