Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 3 months ago

Confusing autistic question?

My friends sister is autistic, on the low functioning side, basically as if she is 3 years old but she's really 20. She doesn't like loud noises, I know that for sure. So I was confused last night when she was able to tolerate the fireworks when in any other situation she would scream and get upset over the noise. And also, they gave her sparklers, and the sparks were getting really close to her fingers. I thought she was going to burn herself... Should they have given her those? And maybe she was being too preoccupied by the sparklers to ignore the loud firework booms going around? But even when she stopped with the sparklers, she still tolerated the loud fireworks.  

I just want to understand, I mean no rudeness in this question.

Andy C, You don't have to be rude about it... I was simply asking... Calm down!

LAN, pity that you weren't intelligent enough to know how to answer a QUESTION.

• LAN

Pity you weren't just intelligent enough to ask your friend isn't it?

Loud noises are often unexpected and can scare someone who does not realize it was just a car backfire or a door slamming.  

With fireworks she is prepared for the noise and there is an instant reward of colorful display.  Giving her the sparkler made her concentrate on the flashing display in front of her so she was able to shut out disturbing noises and activities around her

• Andy C

You need to mind your business and not other's. 

Background fireworks basically create a 'white' noise.  A seriously louder boom would be noticeable,  but otherwise background noise. 

Not all autistic people have sensory processing problems.   Like you said,  you don't know.